PDA

View Full Version : Question about making a square bowl.

Jack Gaskins
05-26-2010, 2:38 PM
Which of the domestic woods are good for making square bowls and does the bowl have to be flat on both side before you start? I have some blanks but they are not evenly flat, they are rough cut from the chain saw.

Tim Rinehart
05-26-2010, 2:48 PM
I think most domestic hardwoods will do nicely for this,... Square on top and bottom...not really since this is all material you are likely to remove.

Edges would be nice to be cut on bandsaw, but quite honestly, the effect of a chainsaw edge may be quite nice and you can always do light sanding if you need if you don't like the rough edge afterwards.

Michelle Rich
05-26-2010, 2:52 PM
the only area that has to be flat & smooth is where you are putting a chuck, faceplate, etc. Your turning tools can then rough it to shape you desire

Reed Gray
05-27-2010, 12:37 PM
I have done them with planed boards, and I still need to true up the bottom and the face of the bowl. Start with the bottom, true it up, then move the tool rest so you can true up the top of the bowl, then turn the bottom about 95% of the way, mostly leaving it a bit thicker than you want because when you reverse it, you will have to true up the top again. Leave some room for the 'whoops' factor.

robo hippy