PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Fresh off the lathe

Mark Hubl
05-26-2010, 1:33 PM
I was asked to donate a piece to an upcoming auction. So I figured I would do a bit of a chotchkie theme piece and push my boundaries a bit. This piece is by far the tallest and scariest piece I have done. I don't know if I will like the final piece but was happy to get it off the lathe with an acceptable wall finish and thickness. Wall is a around 5/32 at the top and tapers to around 3/16 towards the bottom.

Need to look into a steady. Had a little catch at the beginning that gave me a bit of a wobble that I just couldn't get rid of. Made the process a bit nerve racking.

I did the hollowing with my Scorpion set. Used the straight and swan with teardrop. Getting the hang of this thing, but I still can't do bottoms. Couple of nasty catches down there, without damage, called it a day!

Now to go and cut into it for a neck line and some additional shape.

Black Walnut (what else) 11" tall x 4" wide
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/4641906691_69f41e4f38_b.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
05-26-2010, 2:27 PM
Interesting piece so far - pretty wood, nice detail work and really thin walls! Looking forward to seeing how you finish it!

John Keeton
05-26-2010, 3:15 PM
I see a good future for this piece!! Mark, are you doing the texturing on the lathe? What do you use?

alex carey
05-26-2010, 4:01 PM
if you plan on doing a lot of these a properly sized frostner bit will do wonders. Might even get you to the bottom.

Roland Martin
05-26-2010, 4:09 PM
Very nice Mark. I'm assuming the detailing is done with a woodburner? That is quite a deep hollow, nothing I've attempted yet:eek:!!! Will be a great donation.

Mark Hubl
05-26-2010, 4:10 PM
I see a good future for this piece!! Mark, are you doing the texturing on the lathe? What do you use?

John, I left this in the chuck when doing what you see. I figured if I hosed it up too bad that I could fix at the lathe. For this type of texturing I am using a pyrography setup. Just the hand piece and a simple tip. Really just branding the wood surface.

if you plan on doing a lot of these a properly sized frostner bit will do wonders. Might even get you to the bottom.

Alex, This piece was cored with a 2" bit to the bottom to get it started. Coring does take some time though.

Mark Hubl
07-23-2010, 1:09 AM
Finished this a while ago. It is a donation for the "Turn On Chicago 2010" auction. I think there are still spots available. http://www.turnonchicago.org/

The theme is Chicago. The elements are the flag, skyline and the silhouettes of the Willis Tower and John Hancock.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4819295327_9504d69441_b.jpg

Karl Card
07-23-2010, 2:36 AM
I am envious... you must have nerves of steel and alot of patience....

Michelle Rich
07-23-2010, 5:25 AM
love the chgo piece..the skyline is perfect...

Andrew Kertesz
07-23-2010, 5:44 AM
Both pieces look good! Helluva lot better than what I'm capable of so far. I like the bottom on the Chicago piece. Is that your signature mark?

John Keeton
07-23-2010, 7:12 AM
Mark, the work you did on the upper portion of this really made it a much more sophisticated piece. I love the skyline, and the stepped "lapped line" that you have used on this and others really showcases the profile of the buildings in the skyline.

The walnut is beautiful, and a great finish. What level of sanding did you use and what was the finish schedule?

Really a great piece!

John Hart
07-23-2010, 7:15 AM
Very pretty...and inventive.:)

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2010, 9:31 AM
Both are really a pretty pieces Mark. A steady rest would sure help. At least for me it does. Got one coming from Jeff Nicol. Finally decided to get a decent one.

Paul Douglass
07-23-2010, 9:40 AM
That is beautiful. I wish my mind would work so I ccould picture something like that and than make it. Very rich and stately looking to me.

Mark Hubl
07-23-2010, 1:29 PM
Both pieces look good! Helluva lot better than what I'm capable of so far. I like the bottom on the Chicago piece. Is that your signature mark?

I have been playing with the spider web on the bottom of pieces. Not on all, but if the bottom is big enough I burn one in. I have tried several techniques for signing work, and I stink at each at a high level.

Mark, the work you did on the upper portion of this really made it a much more sophisticated piece. I love the skyline, and the stepped "lapped line" that you have used on this and others really showcases the profile of the buildings in the skyline.

The walnut is beautiful, and a great finish. What level of sanding did you use and what was the finish schedule?

Really a great piece!

Thanks John. I usually only sand to 400. This piece was sanded to 400. It then got several coats of AO. Beall buffed. Didn't like the level of shine, so I then steel wooled the gloss down.

Both are really a pretty pieces Mark. A steady rest would sure help. At least for me it does. Got one coming from Jeff Nicol. Finally decided to get a decent one.

Thanks Bernie. I pulled the trigger on a Oneway. Couldn't resist a sale. If I ever get to doing bigger pieces I will have to get one of Jeff's rigs. They really look great.