PDA

View Full Version : Small Natural Edge Maple Burl Hollow Form

Dominic Greco
11-23-2004, 8:37 AM
Hello Everyone,
Here are some pictures of a small maple burl hollow form I turned on Sunday. I've been on this "natural edge hollow form kick" for a while now. I feel it takes the aspects of two of my favorite techniques and combines them in one.

When I first cut up the blank, I was sort of disappointed at the grey color of the wood. Aside from some spalt lines, it didn't look very promising. It wasn't until I started turning that the figure appeared. This blank had it all! Ambrosia maple coloring, beetle holes, streak (or "rays") and fiddle-back/birds eye grain.

While turning to final shape, I kept on narrowing the base to avoid my past mistake of making the base too large (in relationship to the rough opening). Do you think I've accomplished this?

Maple burl hollow form Specs:
Largest Dia.: 4 1/2"
Rough Opening Dia.: 3 1/2"
Height: 5 1/2"
Wall thickness: 3/16"
Base dia.: 2 1/4"
Sanding Method: Sanded to 12,000 Grit.
Finish: Watco's Danish Oil
Final: Buffed with Beall Buffing System

Thanks for viewing!

Dick Parr
11-23-2004, 8:40 AM
Outstand Dom, you scored another one. ;) Love the color and finish on this one.

Jason Roehl
11-23-2004, 8:57 AM
That is VERY impressive, Dom! Good job.

Bob Hovde
11-23-2004, 9:04 AM
I think the proportions are perfect! I haven't figured out how to "see" a form like that in a chunk of wood. Next time, please take a picture of the burl before you start forming it.

Bob

Ted Shrader
11-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Dom -

The bowl looks fantastic! The proportions fit well with the figure of the wood.

Well done,
Ted

Michael Stafford
11-23-2004, 1:44 PM
Very nice, Dom. It has a nice continuous curve that it uplifting from bottom to top.
Good job!

Dave Brandt
11-23-2004, 1:49 PM
Boy Dominic, you did that hunk of wood proud! The shape and proportions are perfect to my eye. Fantastic!

Brad Schmid
11-23-2004, 2:46 PM
Very nice Dominic. I think you've accomplished what you set out to do. That is a beautiful piece of wood too.
Cheers,
Brad

Bill Grumbine
11-23-2004, 3:00 PM
Very nice Dominic! Are you still turning that stuff? Mine is still sitting there waiting for me to get to it. Right now I am busy stuffing envelopes and the lathes are just sitting there. ;)

Bill

Jack Hogoboom
11-23-2004, 3:13 PM
Bill,

Keep on stuffin' !!! Most of us are dying out here waiting for your DVD. I bought a chainsaw and am all ready to go, but I won't even test run it until I've seen the DVD. Your lathes will just have to wait!!! :D

Jack

P.S. Definition of an entrepreneur: someone who does what he or she loves so well that he or she eventually ends up working too hard to do it anymore.

Dominic Greco
11-23-2004, 3:47 PM
Very nice Dominic! Are you still turning that stuff? Mine is still sitting there waiting for me to get to it. Right now I am busy stuffing envelopes and the lathes are just sitting there. ;)

Bill,
Damn straight I am! I still have a 40 lb (or so) chunk of that burl left. I've got a bowl in the works now that will be my coolest, or worst (depending on how it turns out) work yet.

About the size of the foot: I tried to remember your comments about that other natural edge hollow form I had sitting in my shop. Is this more like it?

BTW, Just dropped the check in the mail (no,...really. it's in the mail!) :>)

John Szarek
11-23-2004, 3:55 PM
That is outstanding! It is nice to see such a beautiful piece of wood. Thanks for sharing!

Steve Inniss
11-23-2004, 6:51 PM
Dominic, A beautiful piece. -Steve

Dominic Greco
11-23-2004, 9:39 PM
Thank you all for the compliments.

Now,....on to the next bowl!

John Miliunas
11-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Dom, that's just absolutely splendid! :) Great looking piece of wood and even greater looking form to it! Yup, you gave that hunk of tree a second life awright! :D Well done! :cool: