View Full Version : Dissolvable Tape

George M. Perzel
05-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi Gang;
Does anyone know of any water dissolvable masking tape-or tape who's adhesive will dissolve with water?- DNA?-paint thinner?
Best regards;

Rodne Gold
05-26-2010, 1:06 PM
George - what are you trying to do?
There might be other solutions.

Dan Hintz
05-26-2010, 1:07 PM
The paper tape used for vinyl transfer has a water-soluble adhesive...

3M has a selection of them (for example, I use the 5414 for a quick soldermask), just search on water soluble adhesive.

George M. Perzel
05-26-2010, 1:42 PM
Thanks, Dan
I have quite a few small boxes which have a very fine black lacquer piano finish (see pic). I am doing some intricate fine engraving on them and filling with white.
1. Coat of paste wax (to make mask release easier-??)
2. Mask with low tack masking tape
3. Laser
4. Toothbrush out debris
5. Fill with slightly thinned Elmers white wood filler (I find this easier to work with than other fills)
6. Card off excess and let dry
7. Now the tough part- very, very,very gently remove the tape and weed. It's very easy to scratch the surface trying to wedge it off with a card or bit of plastic.Very time consuming, complicated by the fact that I am noty a patient man.
Best regards;

Rodne Gold
05-26-2010, 1:55 PM
George , the paper based vinyl appliication tape will just roll off if moistend leaving a pristine substrate.
You could use white rub n buff or white crayola on it as well and use turps to clean it off

George M. Perzel
05-27-2010, 6:17 AM
Best regards;

Mike Null
05-27-2010, 6:25 AM
That's the stuff.

Steve Clarkson
06-08-2010, 9:13 AM
The vinyl application tape doesn't have vinyl in it?

Rodne Gold
06-08-2010, 10:57 AM
The paper based stuff is like masking paper - its used to lift the vinyl off the carrier (backing paper) once it is cut and weeded
You apply the cut vinyl using the tape to keep the letters in position and as its FAR less tacky than the vinyl lettering , it peels off and leaves the lettering behind.
You do get a clear variety with grid lines printed , that is vinyl based tho.

Steve Clarkson
06-08-2010, 8:24 PM
Thanks Rodney.......I assumed it was named for its function and not its material content.

art baylor
06-09-2010, 12:26 AM
PVA (polyvinylalcohol) is used in plastics as a seperater layer in casting molds and fiberglass molds. It is just sprayed on with a mist bottle, and forms a thin skin, when it drys. I may do what you need. Water soluble.


George M. Perzel
06-09-2010, 4:41 AM
Thanks,Mike,Rodne, Art et al
best regards