PDA

View Full Version : Twin Lasers

George M. Perzel
05-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Hi Gang;
Really simple question for you computer gurus- how can I run two identical lasers from the same computer (Win XP pro- both connected via USB to LPT cables/adapters).
I know I can load the driver twice and name them differently but how does the computer (and me!) know which is which?
Thanks
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

greg lindsey
05-26-2010, 12:58 PM
I use an A/B switch, purchased from radio shack. Just make sure that the program has fully loaded to one machine before switching to the other.;)

Rodne Gold
05-26-2010, 1:02 PM
One will be usb 1 and the other will be usb2 (or lp1 and 2)- we run 3 lasers off 1 puter and another 3 off another one. If you name em differently then when it comes time to print you will get the option of printing to one device or the other - Windows will ask which printer you want to use - tho it will default to the printer you said was the default under printer properties. If you dont want it to ever default to a laser - just load another printer driver in like a inkjet or whatever and under its properties , say its the default.

Rodne Gold
05-26-2010, 1:05 PM
Greg , why are using a switch? Only one LPT port? You can buy a lpt card for your putter so you can have 2 or 3 or whatever.

Rob Patterson
05-26-2010, 1:06 PM
The computer see the laser as a printer. It would be no different than have two printers installed on the same computer.

When you install the lasers onto the computer you can name them what ever you want (laser1, laser2 or what ever.) Then when you print a document, just select the machine you want the file to goto.

Dan Hintz
05-26-2010, 1:12 PM
Rodney,

I'm assuming you don't have any issues with failed/screwed up prints? Do the GCCs have on-board memory for buffering, or do they rely on the computer for absolute real-time control like the ULS?

I ask because I vaguely recall my rep saying something about not trying to concurrently run more than one ULS machine off of the same computer (though running several off of the same machine at different times was acceptable). Not having the luxury of multiple machines, I can't test.

Rodne Gold
05-26-2010, 2:00 PM
The lasers have memory in em , the whole file sent and you can change parameters if you want to , on the fly using the lasers own controls
I didn't think of the fact that 2 lasers might be communicating
If they do , you could probably open 2 instances of corel and print seperately to each ???

Dan Hintz
05-26-2010, 2:14 PM
It's not necessarily Corel that's the problem, it depends on if the driver can handle two instances of itself running at the same time. In the case of ULS machines, the print driver shoves data over to the Control Panel... it's the CP's job to handle the USB comms, and I doubt it is designed to handle more than one machine at a time (though with the proper processing power, I see no reason why they couldn't make it so, as USB has the bandwidth).

greg lindsey
05-26-2010, 2:21 PM
Rodne, just the way it was setup long ago, never changed it.:)

Mike Null
05-26-2010, 3:33 PM
I've run two machines from the same pc. It just sees them as different printers as others have mentioned. Just give each a name.

I'm a little concerned about USB to LPT but it should work.

George M. Perzel
05-27-2010, 6:14 AM
Thanks, Guys- appreciate your responses and suggestions.
I will let you know how this works out.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts