PDA

View Full Version : Walnut and Quilted Maple?

Braden Nichols
05-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Our dog died this past weekend and I want to build something for my wife to memorialize her. I plan on building something like this picture frame and easel from Woodsmith Magazine. My plan is to modify the base of the easel so that the front-center is a box with a glass front to display our dog’s collar.
My question is would walnut for the easel and trim around the frame and quilted maple for the picture frame go together? If so what type of finish should I use.

Andrew Nemeth
05-26-2010, 12:37 PM
My condolences to you and your family.

I really like the combination of maple and walnut. Boiled linseed oil will darken up the walnut and make the figure pop on the maple. Once dry, you can topcoat BLO with an oil based finish or shellac. If you would prefer a waterborne finish over the BLO, use a coat of shellac as sealer coat before applying your topcoat.

Brian D Anderson
05-26-2010, 1:07 PM
I say of course they'll go together.

I made a cribbage board out of those a few years ago.

I actually can't remember what finish I used. Probably some sort of wiping varnish. The pictures don't do it justice.

-Brian

Dave Gaul
05-26-2010, 1:21 PM
Sorry to hear of your family's loss.

I can't imagine any piece that wouldn't work with the combo of maple & walnut!;)

Ever try just BLO & wax? Very nice and simple "in-the-wood" finish!

Prashun Patel
05-26-2010, 2:36 PM
I'm going to vote for BLO and shellac. That'll pop the curl and bring back some life to walnut.

Van Huskey
05-26-2010, 6:17 PM
Walnut and figured are an excellent pair.

BLO and shellac are also an excellent pair.

2 strong pair is usually a pretty cool hand...

My thoughts are with you also, besides my wife my dog is undeniably my best friend.