PDA

View Full Version : Brush Trimmings

Paul Douglass
05-26-2010, 10:21 AM
One of the good things about turning pens is you don't need big pieces of wood. Last year I was trimming back out Staghorn bush (member of sumac family) and liked the wood so I took some of the bigger pieces, split them, painted the ends and threw them in a brown paper bag. Got them out the other day and decided to try some. Haven't turned much lately so a little rusty, but it was fun. Sumac with rosewood accents.

Mark Burge
05-26-2010, 10:30 AM
That's a nice pen, Paul. I don't normally like pens that much, but this one features the wood so nicely. I have often seen trimmings that I thought "I wish that were big as a bowl!" Nice work.

Mark Hubl
05-26-2010, 1:01 PM
Looks great Paul.

Michael Armstrong
05-26-2010, 2:30 PM
Paul:
Nice looking pen. I have some sumac blanks that I want to get around to turning into pens also. What did you use to finish the pen? Since sumac is so soft I'm interested in figuring out a good durable finish. I have been using CA lately but still wonder with such a soft wood underneath how it will hold up.

Michael

Michelle Rich
05-26-2010, 2:50 PM
The wood is quite nice. Made a pretty pen.

Paul Douglass
05-26-2010, 7:38 PM
I put a CA/BLO finish on it. It is my favorite way to finish pens now. I sanded to 3600 Micro mesh and applied the finish. No sanding or polishing after applying the CA/BLO.