PDA

View Full Version : Relocation to Topeka, KS (Need home search help)

Wes Billups
05-26-2010, 10:04 AM
In two weeks I pack myself up and am moving to Topeka for a job transfer. We're doing a house hunting trip this weekend and one of my wish lists is to find a location which would allow a detached shop. I'm hoping some of the Creeker's here from the area can recommend areas to concentrate our search. Right now all of our searches appear to be North and West of Topeka. I'd love to hear from other Creeker's who are familiar with the area.

I'm leaning toward the Silver Lake area and my wife is leaning toward the Sherman Lake area.

I've got three young kids so proximity to quality schools is the most important item for us. Other than schools and shop space, I'm easy to please.

Thanks in advance,
Wes

Bill Neff
05-26-2010, 4:16 PM
Silver Lake is a nice small community & friends who live there like the schools. Sherwood Lake is in the overdeveloped part of the county (in my opinion). I live in the SE part of the county and the only house I know of for sale in my area I've heard isn't worth the money and too much work involved. But now that I've said that there is a nice brick house up the road from me with detached garage shop on about 3 acres. I'll send you a pm with info. I have no business interest or even know the folks who live there.

Good luck & welcome to the area!

Bill

Roger Newby
05-26-2010, 6:11 PM
Kansas Hardwoods in Belvue, KS. is a good source for native hardwood. Rough sawn and kiln dried also will saw your logs. That's about 20 miles west of Silver Lake on HWY 24.