PDA

View Full Version : Testing a 220 shaper with out 220?

Derek Gilmer
05-26-2010, 9:20 AM
Is there any way to test a 220v tool on a normal 110 outlet ONLY to check if it functions?

I've found a good deal on a Grizzly G1026 220v 18A shaper. The seller bought the tool 3-4 years ago from someone and said it was working when he bought it. The seller intended to run 220 to his work area but never got around to it and decided to sell the shaper. It is a 2.5 hr round trip to go look at the shaper so I'd love to have some way to have the seller test it before driving to look at it. Or at worst buy it drive 5 hours round trip and have it not work when I get home.

Dan Friedrichs
05-26-2010, 9:43 AM
Can you ask the seller if he has a dryer outlet available? You could buy a long extension cord, cut off the ends, and wire 220V plugs onto it. Maybe buy an assortment of 220V plugs and receptacles, so you can wire up the correct one once you get there.

Joe Chritz
05-26-2010, 11:42 AM
You can test everything but the motor with a dial indicator and your hands.

If you need to spin the motor you will need to wire it somehow. A dryer outlet is one (you could remove the motor and take it to the outlet) or find another source for 220. Maybe an AC box or garage outlet depending.

If you can't at least spin the motor by hand and listen / feel for anything weird. The shaft should spin freely and not have any weird play side to side.

Good luck

There isn't much to a shaper. I have a grizzly and it seems like a decent, basic unit. Be ready to dump several hundred on a power feed and cutters. Once you do you will never go back.

Joe

mickey cassiba
05-26-2010, 1:29 PM
rent/borrow a generator
Mick

Don Jarvie
05-26-2010, 3:06 PM
If the motor has dual voltages, ie can be wired at 110 and 220, bring a 110 plug, cut off the plug and put the new one on. Open the wire area on the motor and switch the wires around to 110. Should work.

Ed Griner
05-26-2010, 5:59 PM
Could you remove the plug and hard wire it to the panel,just to test it? Ed

Derek Gilmer
05-27-2010, 9:19 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately the shaper was sold before I could make the drive to take a look at it. Back to planning to spend my fun money at the grizzly tent sale :D

Brian Cover
05-31-2010, 5:38 PM
For future reference, yes, you can check a 220v machine in ANY home.
All homes have 220 volt feeds. All 110 circuits are half (one leg) of the 220 feeders. You can take a 110 extension cord from an outlet and use a voltmeter to find the opposite leg at another outlet. Then use 2 pieces of wire, one from each outlet to connect each leg to the machine and turn it on. The hot is the smaller slot at the outlet, also it is on the right of the 3 prong outlets when the ground is below the 2 slots.