PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gloat (Mini)

Roland Martin
05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
This is a first for me. Just finished installing a kitchen we built for a residence on Meere Point and noticed a decent birch tree that had just been cut down & cut into 3 pcs.at the end of their driveway. I asked what their plans were for it. They said that they might cut it up for firewood but really didn't have time or a real desire. Being a good simaritan;), I offered to turn her a couple of bowls for the island top since it was from their land. Next came instant excitement and a plea for me to take it all, along with 2 more larger ones that will be taken down soon. I reluctantly agreed to help them out:D:D!!
I loaded them up & & cut them to managable size when I got home & sealed the ends. It averages about 14" across with a fair amount of burls, though fairly small. The other 2 trees that are coming down are about 22" across 6' up.
Anybody have any recomendations on how to deal with the burls? Like I said, this is a first for me, and don't really want to screw it up from inexperience.
Thanks for looking!

Mark Burge
05-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Great haul, Roland. I don't think you can screw up that wood. As for dealing with the small burls, I will defer to someone with more experience, but I would at least anticipate that it doesn't go that deep, so NE might be the way to go. Just my two bits.

Steve Schlumpf
05-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Roland - congrats on all that Birch! Great wood to turn!

I agree with Mark that chances are the burls do not go very deep - so if you want to feature them in a turning, you will have to plan on having the burl on the outside of your bowl or hollow form. Looks like you have enough wood to experiment with!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Don Alexander
05-25-2010, 11:17 PM
if the burls are pretty small sounds like great pen material to me :D:D

Brian Brown
05-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Anybody have any recomendations on how to deal with the burls?

I have never see a birch burl before. In fact, I didn't even know there were birch burls. Just to be safe, you better ship them to me for verification. I'd do that, because I am just that sorta guy. :D Actually, because they are so small, you could use them for bottle stoppers, or jewelry.

Richard Madison
05-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Well done Roland! Might try to spalt a couple pieces. Maybe someone could jump in here with a good birch spalting technique. Have seen some way beautiful spalted birch. Good score.

Karl Card
05-26-2010, 12:47 AM
I gotta start networking more..... with a chainsaw...lol

great find and cant wait to see what it ends up as..

brian watts
05-26-2010, 6:09 AM
congrats on all that Birch!

John Keeton
05-26-2010, 6:25 AM
Roland, that is a fine haul of wood, and sounds like there will be more to come! No help on suggestions as I have turned only one piece of birch. But, I concure with the suggestion to spalt some of it. The piece I did turn was a piece of spalted white birch from Steve Schlumpf, and it was absolutely beautiful wood and a joy to turn.

Roland Martin
05-26-2010, 6:43 AM
Well done Roland! Might try to spalt a couple pieces. Maybe someone could jump in here with a good birch spalting technique. Have seen some way beautiful spalted birch. Good score.

Probably back in February or so, somebody, can't remember who, posted a spalted river birch HF and it was absolutely beautiful. I certainly would like to spalt some of this. Any suggestions on how I ought to proceed with that?

Brian B., I'll keep your suggestions in mind;)

John Keeton
05-26-2010, 7:33 AM
Roland, Steve Schlumpf may be able to comment on his method. I think he puts the logs in the shade behind his shop - or some real scientific method similar to that!!:D

There have been several threads recently on spalting, and this is an older one -
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57690

Also, Baxter Smith has been experimenting with spalting some, and may be able to help.

Harvey Ghesser
05-26-2010, 8:48 AM
Looks like you've got your work cut out for you, Roland! Congrats on that haul! (oh, my aching back!):D

Steve Schlumpf
05-26-2010, 8:56 AM
Roland - if you are interested in spalting the birch - check out this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=131849

Also, we have an expert in the field of spalting (Seri Robinson) and she welcomes any and all questions on the subject. Here is her profile page: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=131849

Seri Robinson
05-27-2010, 6:49 PM
In terms of spalting, birch rots quickly. I'd use a less aggressive fungus, like Dead Man's Finger. Turkey Tail will just turn it to mush.

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2010, 7:04 PM
Congrats on the wood Roland. Nice looking Birch.

Roland Martin
05-27-2010, 7:47 PM
In terms of spalting, birch rots quickly. I'd use a less aggressive fungus, like Dead Man's Finger. Turkey Tail will just turn it to mush.

Thank you Seri, much appreciated. Just sent you a PM.

charlie knighton
05-27-2010, 7:52 PM
congratulations on wood haul, the small size of the burls suggest to me to use them as top material with finial attached, the top can be mounted and partly turned to see what it is going to look like, then choose a contrasting wood for bottom form, but do not put to much pressure on yourself, it may work out and may not, its free wood right, the best kind

Roland Martin
05-27-2010, 9:33 PM
congratulations on wood haul, the small size of the burls suggest to me to use them as top material with finial attached, the top can be mounted and partly turned to see what it is going to look like, then choose a contrasting wood for bottom form, but do not put to much pressure on yourself, it may work out and may not, its free wood right, the best kind

Thanks for the suggestions and direction Charlie. Free wood is pretty hard to beat :D.

Allen Neighbors
05-27-2010, 9:52 PM
Nice haul!! If you're going for a drive along the Southern Route, I'd be happy to store that for you... :D