PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Education

Bobby O'Neal
05-25-2010, 8:55 PM
So I am a noob who doesn't own a single plane but am interested in learning more about hand tools. When it comes to Stanley planes, I see some called Bailey, some called Sweetheart and some stamped Bedrock. What are the differences? Why have a seen a Stanley #4 at Lowes for 30 bucks before? Thanks

Bobby

Bill Houghton
05-25-2010, 9:28 PM
Patrick Leach has a great website, called "Blood and Gore," that will give you a fairly comprehensive background: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm.

Check out your local library, and see if it has a book called "The Hand Plane Book," by Garrett Hack. That will be a good complement to Patrick Leach's website, which is mainly focused on the planes themselves, not so much on the use of the planes.

Another good book, available from Woodcraft.com for $14, or less than that from half.com, is "Planecraft," a reprint of a British book by C.W. Hampton and E. Clifford. I personally consider this the best book on use of bench, block, and combination planes; you do have to be or get comfortable with older British terminology and sentence construction.

Tom Henderson2
05-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Ditto on all three of Bill H's recommendations.

Add www.rexmill.com for an abbreviated type study and you have covered a lot of bases.

-TH

Thomas Nye
05-25-2010, 10:39 PM
I have looked over Patrick Leaches "Blood & Gore" MANY Times and the info within has been invaluable for me in acquiring certain stanley planes.

Joel Goodman
05-26-2010, 12:57 AM
One piece of advice -- don't buy the $30 Stanley at Lowes -- it has no relation to the fine tools Stanley used to make!

Jim Koepke
05-26-2010, 12:59 AM
So I am a noob who doesn't own a single plane but am interested in learning more about hand tools. When it comes to Stanley planes, I see some called Bailey, some called Sweetheart and some stamped Bedrock. What are the differences? Why have a seen a Stanley #4 at Lowes for 30 bucks before? Thanks

Bobby

The Stanley #4 at Lowes may be a modern incarnation of the line. Most likely made outside of the U.S. of A. Most likely with plastic handles and poor workmanship.

Leonard Bailey designed and patented a system for adjusting the blade depth on a hand plane. He also was one of the pioneers in the making of metallic planes. Stanley Rule & Level bought Bailey's patents and hired him.

The Bedrock was a design that allowed for the adjustment of the frog by at first loosening the frog holding screws and then turning an adjustment screw. Later the design was changed to allow for adjustment without removing the blade assembly. There is also more contact area between the frog and the base of the plane. This does reduce vibration to some extent. Hence the name Bedrock as in solid.

The Sweet Heart branding began in the 1890s to honor William H. Hart who became President and Treasurer to the Stanley Works in 1884. Stanley Rule & Level merged with Stanley Works in 1920. The two logos were also merged and were used together until about 1936.

So, if you buy old hardware, you may find some with a heart around the SW but no mention of Stanley.

Aside from the other sites mentioned above, there is also a lot of good information right here on SMC. At the top of the Neanderthal Haven conference is a "Sticky" called Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs. In that thread is a lot of information from current and former members that is very useful on many tools.

jim

john brenton
05-27-2010, 9:07 PM
Stores like lowes, home depot and ESPECIALLY sears have relatively little to offer,
But I do have a set of stanley chisels and the most current 30 dollar block plane and I
Am happy with them. The body of the plane is made in mexico, but the iron is made in England.
Nicely honed it does a nice job and I use it for end grain as well. Puts a glassy surface on end grain just as well as any
Fancy model.

Look for the made in england mark on the fat max stanley chisels. They aren't the best in the world
But hone up nicely and are good for a job too good to use your crap chisels, but not good enough for your fancy set.
The 2" chisel does a lot for me.

That's all I have to say about that.