PDA

View Full Version : New MM16 Thanks for Much Helpful Info

Bill Maietta
05-25-2010, 8:42 PM
First of all, thanks to so man of the members here who have provided useful information and advice in these forums. I've read a lot of them, not only in searching for a bandsaw, but for many other purchases, design and construction techniques, etc. I've only been a member since last October, but I've gained a great deal in just a half year.

I couldn't find the original post that lead me to the JWS Joinery unofficial manual for the MM16 - 20, but that was very helpful. Grazzi.

Which gets me to my new Italian bandsaw... it arrived today, though the blades somehow got left out of the shipping order. That means the saw is really, really clean. Minimax is expediting the shipping on the blades. Plus, I've ordered a couple of blades from Bandsaw Blades Direct. I should be able to test the thing out in a couple of days. Below are a few shots. My dogs seem to like it.

Oh yeah, the Wynn Environmental filter on the Delta is another find from an SMC forum. Yep, thanks again.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-25-2010, 9:17 PM
Bill,

I'm sure you'll be as happy with your MM-16 as I am with mine. Could you post a photo of the blade guard. Did they ever start notching that so the rear thrust bearing comes up to support narrower blades?

Bruce Page
05-25-2010, 9:35 PM
Bill, you picked a nice machine, I've been very happy with mine.

Watch out for that gang of thieves hangin' in your shop!

Joe Mioux
05-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Congrats on the new saw, you will love it...

but why are you selling it? :rolleyes:

(I see this thread is posted in the classified's)

Bruce Page
05-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Joe, good catch. I just moved it into the GW&PT forum.

Dave MacArthur
05-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Nice one Bill! Those dogs must have been around a butcher shop before... they seem to think that's a butcher's band saw, and are waiting for bones!

Kudos also on being a Friend of the Creek, it's nice to see someone put their $ where their mouth is--thanks!

Enjoy the great saw!

Bill Maietta
05-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Could you post a photo of the blade guard. Did they ever start notching that so the rear thrust bearing comes up to support narrower blades?

You know, there was no blade guard in the shipment. I don't know if it was an oversight, or maybe they've stopped using it. MiniMax sales and service were great (I worked with Sam and Michael on this saw), and I don't think a blade guard was even mentioned.

It's hard for me to imagine how useful it would be on a bandsaw this size, but then again, I've never used one... and won't until those (argh) blades show up.

I may be missing something, but I think a well-tuned bandsaw with the right blade for the cut, good support and feed rate and an alert operator is the way to keep fingers intact and eyeballs in their sockets, no?

Oh yeah, and the dogs. Don't they wish it was a butcher's saw. Two of the three just got off diets. Both had to lose 15 lb.s and did. They're almost as spry as they were a couple of years ago, so easy on the meaty bones.

Bill Maietta
05-26-2010, 1:09 PM
Ken,

Sorry, you mean the long, nesting metal guard. That didn't seem like something you would need to mess with. Hard to tell without blades.

Well, that is "notched" or cut away on the spine side of the saw. I don't know if it is different from earlier models. I guess a lot of people remove the bottom section. It seems you could also lift it with a longer machine screw with a sleeve around it.

Here are some photos. Does it look changed from earlier models? The guides still don't look quite far enough forward for small blades. We'll see.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-26-2010, 1:20 PM
Bill,

That is the change I was talking about in our PM. It's there!

Keep in mind.....narrow blades say 1/4" you will run in the center of the wheel. Before that modification was made, you couldn't get the rear or thrust guide far enough forward to support a 1/4" blade. I used a dremel tool and cutoff blade to modify mine.

Good Luck! It is a great tool and you will enjoy it.

Bryan Hunt
05-26-2010, 1:56 PM
Keep in mind.....narrow blades say 1/4" you will run in the center of the wheel. Before that modification was made, you couldn't get the rear or thrust guide far enough forward to support a 1/4" blade. I used a dremel tool and cutoff blade to modify mine.

This problem is the only thing that is annoying about my MM16. I'll have to look into making the same modification.

Curt Harms
05-27-2010, 7:59 AM
Congrats on a beautiful machine

Watch out for that gang of thieves hangin' in your shop!

They look more like thief deterrents to me ;).

Bruce Page
05-27-2010, 9:50 AM
Congrats on a beautiful machine

They look more like thief deterrents to me ;).

You make a good point..:eek: