PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen cabinet pricing

Thomas Prondzinski
11-23-2004, 7:13 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on kitchen cabinet pricing? Per foot or? Cabinets would be Oak raised panels,melamine interiors and hardwood dovetailed drawers/with blums new blumotion slides. installed. Also biding three vanities.

Thanks Tom

Jamie Buxton
11-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Go to a kitchen cabinet supplier and price out the competitors in your area. You'll probably find that you as a small shop can barely buy the materials for the retail price of factory-made cabinets. If your customers are expecting cabinets which are like the factory-made, they'll expect prices like the factory-made. You can choose to work for nearly nothing while you get started, but if you want to stay in business you have to develop something distinctive -- design, craftsmanship, service, etc -- which will make the customer pay your higher prices.

Mark J Bachler
11-23-2004, 1:17 PM
Just to give you a VERY ROUGH idea. For just basic cabinets, buy-out doors, the contractors I build for allow $275 per ft. not including counter tops or anything fancy. That would be oak, pine or birch. Cherry would be more. This is Northern WI. where labor is cheap & the sheep are nervous.

Alan Shaw
11-26-2004, 9:10 PM
Thomas

My full time job is a kitchen designer. We have a range of low end cabinets from 99.00 LF to 300.00 LF for our custom line.

I had a cabinet shop in Indiana before moving back to PA. I was charging 300.00 LF for Oak flat panels to as high as 400.00 LF for cherry raised panels. Even at those prices I was just making a little profit while paying of the shop. Since coming back to PA. I stop making cabinets due part in my shop size and the availabity of less expensive mass produced cabinets.

I now make what I like doning and that is clocks. Good luck..

Todd Burch
11-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Thomas, too many unknown variables. Finished or not? I'll assume delivered since you'll be installinng. Bunchs of drawers or simple boxes with doors? Any 45's? Height of uppers? Crown or other mouldings? ???

Thomas Prondzinski
11-28-2004, 8:53 AM
Cabinets will be finished and installed,Oak raised panels,hard maple dovetailed drawers,crown moldings,euro hinges,blum slides. Probably not going to make much as they will be my first set of kitchen cabinets and they will be for my brothers new house.

Tom

Paul B. Cresti
11-28-2004, 9:16 AM
Thomas,
Very hard to give you a price. I base it upon my design, how much time it will take me plus material and sometimes add in some profit. I am still not very good at this but I am starting to get an idea on how long something "actually" takes to fabricate. Others things you may need to consider is the design portion. I sell designs and then fabricate them. As others have said, as a small shop you can not even come close to remotely compete with the big manufacturers. You have to develop a nitch or possibly outsource most items, choose what you want to make, decide if you will assemble them or not and also decide on installation. One thing that stands out in my mind is you mentioned it is for family, be very careful as feelings can get hurt easily.