PDA

View Full Version : Ellsworth Demo

Roger Chandler
05-25-2010, 4:20 PM
Today,our local club just hosted David Ellsworth for an all day demo, and tomorrow there will be about a half dozen turners getting private tutoring for the day.

David is a genuinely nice and engaging person. He took all the time needed to fully answer all questions posed to him by persons in our club. His comprehensive explanations while demonstrating left the learner with clear understanding of each step he made in bowls, natural edge turnings and in his famous hollow forms. He was also very helpful in tool technique, and a number of our turners gained knowledge on different cutting techniques and tool presentation.

I look forward to making handles for his hollowing tools that I decided I wanted, and using them to further my own development in this journey deeper into this vortex.

If you have a chance, it would be well worth your time to take advantage of an opportunity to attend one of his demos.

Tony De Masi
05-25-2010, 4:40 PM
I agree about David. He demo'd for our club a few months ago and he was quite engaging. The only thing that I found odd was that he also critiqued the show and tell table and he absolutely ripped a guy who made a segmented bowl. Not for the shape or style or size, just because he doesn't like segmented work.

Tony

Roger Chandler
05-25-2010, 4:54 PM
I agree about David. He demo'd for our club a few months ago and he was quite engaging. The only thing that I found odd was that he also critiqued the show and tell table and he absolutely ripped a guy who made a segmented bowl. Not for the shape or style or size, just because he doesn't like segmented work.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I'm not far from you, just down I-81 in the central Shenandoah Valley. Our members really enjoyed David's demo. He was ready to take all the time necessary to reply to each question, and actually invited interruptions as he went along.

Our club [WoVa] joined with our sister club [CVW] and we had about 50 or so in attendance. The meeting was held in Mt. Jackson, which you are probably familiar where its located.

I'm looking forward to developing my skills in hollow forms, and the postings of members here at the "creek" have always been helpful and positive. I think wood turners are a nice group to be associated with by and large.

Steve Schlumpf
05-25-2010, 4:58 PM
Wow - nothing like a demo from a Master to get the imagination flowing! Hopefully - our club will be able to import talent like that one day - but for now, nope. Glad you were able to attend!

Roger Chandler
05-25-2010, 5:11 PM
Wow - nothing like a demo from a Master to get the imagination flowing! Hopefully - our club will be able to import talent like that one day - but for now, nope. Glad you were able to attend!

Hi Steve,

I agree that seeing a demo from someone of David Ellsworth stature is a special happening for an aspiring turner. For me personally, the last couple weeks have been very stressful [a death in the family, and finishing a bathroom remodel between my regular job resonsibilities] and my interest in turning was a bit diminished as I pressed to get things done.

After this demo, the juices got a little fired up again, and when I can get a couple of hours, I am going to chuck up a new walnut or cherry blank, and see what happens...:D

Good to hear from you again Steve.... I always enjoy your postings and comments.

Nathan Hawkes
05-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Hi Tony,

I'm not far from you, just down I-81 in the central Shenandoah Valley. Our members really enjoyed David's demo. He was ready to take all the time necessary to reply to each question, and actually invited interruptions as he went along.

Our club [WoVa] joined with our sister club [CVW] and we had about 50 or so in attendance. The meeting was held in Mt. Jackson, which you are probably familiar where its located.

I'm looking forward to developing my skills in hollow forms, and the postings of members here at the "creek" have always been helpful and positive. I think wood turners are a nice group to be associated with by and large.

Roger, I'm a member of CVW and had to miss the demo today. Something came up last minute, and I couldn't make it. I'm glad to hear that it went well, and sorry I couldn't be there.

Belton Garvin
05-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Ellsworth will be doing an all day demo for our club this weekend in Virginia Beach. Really looking forward to it.

Richard Raffan did an all day demo for us the weekend before last.

If I learn as much from Ellsworth as I did from Raffan, I might just start living in my shop trying new projects and techniques.

Our club (Tidewater Turners) has really got it together putting on deals like this and shows / demos throught the year.

John Keeton
05-26-2010, 6:35 AM
I suspect these type of events are not cheap, and you are fortunate to belong to a club that can swing this financially. Congrats!

I have only been a member of our local club for a couple of months, and I am not familiar with their history of bringing in folks for demos - hopefully, I can be exposed to some of that as time goes on.

Belton Garvin
05-26-2010, 9:34 AM
The club does pick up some of the demo but our club also meets at our local Woodcraft which helps with the cost along with offering classes the same week fo the visit. We did have a small fee ($10 for Raffan / $20 for Ellsworth)...well worth the money for an all day demo. I didn't get signed up quick enough for any of the classes. Hopefully your club can get some of these guys soon.

Roger Chandler
05-26-2010, 9:34 AM
I suspect these type of events are not cheap, and you are fortunate to belong to a club that can swing this financially. Congrats!

I have only been a member of our local club for a couple of months, and I am not familiar with their history of bringing in folks for demos - hopefully, I can be exposed to some of that as time goes on.

Hi John,

I think this venture was a collaborative effort of my club [Woodturner's of the Virginia's, Central Virginia Woodturner's, Tidewater Turners, and one in Richmond] and it might have had hands in it from our mother organization Virginia Woodturners Inc. I know that the president Peter Tosh was there as well, because he sat next to me.

David is making a tour in Virginia for this week, and it seems like this was all coordinated to accomodate the various clubs, and no doubt share the expenses together.

I am really looking forward to the Virginia Symposium in October, because it will be 2 days of demos and vendors and many good learning experiences, and will only be 35 miles away from me at the Expoland in Fishersville, Va.

You are invited to drop by if you can make the time. Information is on the Virginia Woodturners Website: Virginia Wooturners, Inc. (http://www.virginiawoodturners.com/)

Mike Minto
05-26-2010, 10:05 AM

Tony

I wonder what was up with that - him "ripping" someone for their work. I've met him, and he seemed to be a nice guy, ready with a handshake and a smile. Thought artists were supposed to support the creativity of others...hmm.

Roger Chandler
05-26-2010, 3:35 PM
Roger, I'm a member of CVW and had to miss the demo today. Something came up last minute, and I couldn't make it. I'm glad to hear that it went well, and sorry I couldn't be there.

Nathan,

Sorry to hear of your prohibitive issues as related to attending the demo. It really was good. I would have liked to have met you, but maybe I can get to one of the CVW meetings in the future. There were a number of your club present, and a good meal was had by all, and good fellowship as well.

Ellsworth really shined, and Fred Williamson did a superb job with the video and large projection screens, so everyone had an up close and personal view of all Ellsworth's techniques. The whole program was really put together well, and the planners and participants deserve a lot of credit for their well thought out program and execution of details.