PDA

View Full Version : Sears vs Rikon bandsaw

paul cottingham
05-25-2010, 12:26 PM
So I can't help but notice the similarities between these saws. Are they the same? More importantly, are they any good?
http://catalog.sears.ca/wcsstore/MasterCatalog/images/catalog/27/96/092927960_1_244.jpg
CRAFTSMAN®/MD Professional™ 14'' Statio (http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-md-professional-8482-14-stationary-band-saw/09279600?ptag=1)nary

Rikon
14" Bandsaw (http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-320.htm)
Model 10-320

Thanks!

John Williamson
05-25-2010, 12:44 PM
The Craftsman received the "Best Value" in the review in Popular Woodworking 11/06. Rikon model 10-325 was their "Editors Choice".

I bought the Craftsman several years ago when I hit a good deal. Been happy with in since. Just remember with a steel frame you can't add a riser block later on.

glenn bradley
05-25-2010, 1:30 PM
The 10-320 is a good match. Your Rikon pic is the 10-325. Just clarifying.

mreza Salav
05-25-2010, 1:33 PM
It seems the Craftsman is built by the same factory that makes Rikon.
Note that the Rikon has 1.5HP (vs. 1HP of Craftsman) and larger resaw capacity (13" vs. 8"). I have the Craftsman (got a good deal on) and have been mostly happy. For resaw, I had mixed results. Have been successful with walnut at 8" but had trouble with a couple of boards of really really really HARD maple.

Will Overton
05-25-2010, 1:45 PM
It seems the Craftsman is built by the same factory that makes Rikon.
Note that the Rikon has 1.5HP (vs. 1HP of Craftsman) and larger resaw capacity (13" vs. 8"). I have the Craftsman (got a good deal on) and have been mostly happy. For resaw, I had mixed results. Have been successful with walnut at 8" but had trouble with a couple of boards of really really really HARD maple.

You need to go by model #'s. The 10-320 is 1hp, the 10-325 "Deluxe" is 1.5 hp.
The resaw capacity of the 10-320 is 6".

John Mark Lane
05-25-2010, 2:31 PM
Just noticed -- the Sears link in the first post is to Sears Canada's website. I was poking around and getting weird prices and more limited inventory, then realized why. Just FYI.

paul cottingham
05-25-2010, 3:08 PM
Yes, sorry, I am Canadian. That is the main reason I am interested in the sears saw.

John Mark Lane
05-25-2010, 4:22 PM
Yes, sorry, I am Canadian. That is the main reason I am interested in the sears saw.

Uhh... I'm sure there's some aspect of this I should know, but I don't. Why would beiing Canadian make you more interested in a Sears saw? Just curious....

Mark

Dave Sweeney
05-25-2010, 5:21 PM
IMO they may be similar but they are not the same. The Rikon is made by Rikon to Rikons' specifications. Some claim that the Craftsman is made for Sears by Rikon and that may well be true. But.......even if that is true, I'm betting that Rikon makes that saw to Sears specifications and not their specs. Almost everything I've ever owned with the name Craftsman on it has been engineered down to the lowest possible point yet still resemble higher quality product. Go with the Rikon, you won't be disappointed.

John Mark Lane
05-25-2010, 5:32 PM
IMO they may be similar but they are not the same. The Rikon is made by Rikon to Rikons' specifications. Some claim that the Craftsman is made for Sears by Rikon and that may well be true. But.......even if that is true, I'm betting that Rikon makes that saw to Sears specifications and not their specs. Almost everything I've ever owned with the name Craftsman on it has been engineered down to the lowest possible point yet still resemble higher quality product. Go with the Rikon, you won't be disappointed.

You may be right, but isn't it just speculation?

First, does Rikon "make" anything? Aren't all these tools made in China and just branded for the contracting company? Granted they may be made to specs provided by the contracting company...and granted similar machines may be finished out with different specs. But to say "Rikon makes them" seems wrong to me. Rikon has them made, no?

I tend to agree the Craftsman (these days) sells a lot of junk. But I've lately been reconsidering the extent of that conclusion. Some of the tools I'm seeing strike me as not bad, really. And these "Rikon-like" bandsaws are among them. And a couple of the table saws. Sure, the more expensive "brands" are better in various respects, but (a) they are more expensive, and (b) sometimes the differences don't matter, particularly for hobbyists and weekend woodworkers (like me).

Just my thoughts on the topic, worth what you paid for them...

Mark

paul cottingham
05-25-2010, 5:40 PM
Uhh... I'm sure there's some aspect of this I should know, but I don't. Why would beiing Canadian make you more interested in a Sears saw? Just curious....

Mark
sorry. it is just more easily available locally.

Rod Upfold
05-25-2010, 5:42 PM
Paul - have you checked out Grizzly?

We can now purchase Grizzly products and have them delivered. Grizzly has a special on now - they will pay all brokerage fees.

Rod

paul cottingham
05-25-2010, 6:26 PM
Sweet! I will look.

scott spencer
05-25-2010, 7:31 PM
It's my understanding that Richen Enterprises, who owns Rikon, also makes the Craftsman, but I can't be certain. At one time, I was able to compare an online Rikon manual with a Craftsman manual for the 14 inchers, and there were several parts that had the same part numbers.

I've had the 12" version (http://www1.epinions.com/review/Craftsman_12_in_Band_Saw_22400_BAS300/content_314141019780)for a couple of years now and it's been a good tool within it's power and capacity limitations. The stock roller bearings on the Cman versions are junk, but can be easily replaced with roller blade bearings for ~ $10. Nothing strikes me as being exceptional about the 12", but the sale price was great and it's done what I've needed it to do. They also tend to include some handy extras...fence, cast iron table, light. Buying blades has not been an issue....there are many good online suppliers.

Michael Roland
05-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Well I had the Craftsman for about a year and I was not a fan. What looked ok in the store quickly became disappointing in use.

The unit I puchased had a lot of play in the trunion assembly and the rack that raised and lowered the upper guide assembly after careful adjustment. If I moved the blade guide up or down more than about 1/2 inch I would have to go through a complete re-adjustment of the upper guide. I've read articles about folks who have spent time get rid of the upper guide play by pulling the upper wheel and tweaking the rack alignment.

I had to replace the factory bearings within about a week of purchase because they were leaking grease. The motor capacitor also failed after about 2 months.

I sold mine when I moved and have since purchased a different saw.

YMMV

Don Bullock
05-25-2010, 11:04 PM
The motor capacitor or something else connected with the motor went out on my Craftsman and I'm not sure how to repair it. I just haven't had the time to look into repairing it, but since it will be needed soon I will have to get it repaired. Other than that I found the saw adequate for the jobs I asked it to do.

Curt Harms
05-26-2010, 9:27 AM
The motor capacitor or something else connected with the motor went out on my Craftsman and I'm not sure how to repair it. I just haven't had the time to look into repairing it, but since it will be needed soon I will have to get it repaired. Other than that I found the saw adequate for the jobs I asked it to do.

Don, how long have you had the saw? Is it still under warranty? I had a motor issue with my rikon 10-325 out of the box. I could spin the wheels then hit the start switch and it would accelerate & run with good power. It would not start by itself; it'd hum a few seconds then trip a 20 amp. 120 volt breaker. I called Rikon and offered to change out the start cap if they'd send me one. They sent me a new motor instead. Makes me wonder if there were issues with some of the motors beyond start caps. I put another start cap in the old motor just to see. It started, ran a few seconds then the smoke came out of the new cap. The old motor was worth $6.50 at the scrap yard :).

Don Bullock
05-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Curt, My problem sounds very similar to yours. Unfortunately I didn't renew the Sear's extended warranty last year because with our move and owning two houses when it came due we were strapped for cash. I'm afraid the saw will need a whole new motor and I don't know who to call to get it fixed. We have a great woodworking association hare in San Diego that I belong to and I plan to see if they can recommend someone to come out to look at the saw. Like I said, I've just haven't found time available when someone can check it out. Now that I've found out that one of our Champion basset hounds will be having puppies in a few weeks I may have to wait until later in the summer. I'll be very busy with the dogs until then.