PDA

View Full Version : Restoring My GWI

James Williams 007
05-25-2010, 12:24 PM
I have been slowly restoring an old Dewalt GWI for the past year or so and I have managed to get the main arm and motor stripped and painted but the base and legs because they have inside tight corners and a lot more surface present a little more of a challenge and my thought was to have them sandblasted. Does anyone know if this is a good option and where would I find someone to do this type of work? Thanks for the help....this old Iron is addicting!:)

Jerome Hanby
05-25-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm sure it applies to other car enthusiasts, but almost every VW Bug nut I've ever known had (or had access to) sandblasting gear...

Don Jarvie
05-25-2010, 1:34 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about inside corners too much. What you can do is buy a wire brush you use to clean the inside of cooper pipe prior to soldering it. They are in the section at HD with the pipe.

Buy a few and cut off the handle to one and put it your drill. It will be small enough to get in the corners.

Whay you can't get just try to scrape out and prime. The Rustolum primer can be used over rust.

scott allen
05-25-2010, 3:56 PM
You might want to try using a needle scaler. Great for getting into tight places for rust & paint removal. HF has one that's pretty cheap that's had pretty good reviews.

Scott

Keith Avery
05-25-2010, 7:05 PM
I am in the process of redoing a large Delta RAS and used electrolysis to remove almost all of the rust. I suggest going to OWWM.org and searching "spooge tank". I am not sure if the GWI legs come apart though. The largest single piece I cleaned with electrolysis was about 4 feet long and 6 in wide.