PDA

View Full Version : ipod case

Tami Carlson
05-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Hello everyone, this site has been such a wonderful resource.
We have got things running with our new laser.
I was wondering if anyone could help me with lasering on an ipod case.
it's black leather. what can i use to fill the image in with after lasering?
what is the best way to laser them?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Tami

Frank Corker
05-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Tami leather generally engraves very well, not too sure about infill though, the paint would have to be something really quite durable. If the material is dark and you are using an image, it needs to be negative,

I would suggest you get a piece of scrap black material and run your laser over that so you get an idea of what it will look like.

Speed and power settings are going to be according to the wattage of your laser - an Epilog 45w will engravve well at 100 speed 35 power at 600 dpi.

Chris DeGerolamo
05-25-2010, 1:20 PM
I would be sure your case is made of leather and not moleskin or something else that may contain PVC.

Joe De Medeiros
05-25-2010, 2:38 PM
My wife has been painting leather for a while, and see uses artist acrylic paint that comes in tubes, it remains flexible after drying, and is quite durable.

Bill Cunningham
05-25-2010, 10:41 PM
One interesting thing you will find with 'black' leather. It's not black because the cow was black. The colour the engraving will be, depends on a lot of factors. Not including the genetics of the cow. The dye type, and the tanning process are the main factors. I have had high quality black leather wallets from the same order, but obviously not from the same leather batch, turn everything from light brown, to almost a bright white after engraving. Tandy sells leather stain. If the leather is smooth, you can use a masking paper or tape to laser through before applying the stain. I would practice on a few pieces first though..

Dan Hintz
05-26-2010, 6:08 AM
One interesting thing you will find with 'black' leather. It's not black because the cow was black.
Thanks for ruining my dream of a field of purple cows, Bill! :p

Frank Corker
05-26-2010, 6:55 AM
Yeah I remember it took 34 weeks for them to find 15 white cows in Italy to make my settees for the front room