PDA

View Full Version : Shifting 30" Biesemeyer rails & tube to the right

Scott Schwake
05-25-2010, 10:15 AM
I have a 30" Biesemeyer on a Craftsman, installed per instructions, which leaves a good chuck of the rail system left of the blade. I've never used the fence left of the blade on my Craftsman, but the C-man is left tilt.

I'm going to be moving the fence to a Unisaw, and was thinking about shifting the tube & rails right to get more capacity. However, the Unisaw is right tilt, so I may occassionally need to use the fence left of the blade.

I'm wondering how much capacity I should leave left of the blade on the Uni.

Also, to gain more capacity on the right, do I attach the angle further right on the table (which would require cutting new notches in the angle for the miter slots), or mount the angle per instructions and just shift the tube right on the angle. If the latter, do I need to tap new holes in the tube to attach it to the rail?

Thanks for your input
Scott

Rod Sheridan
05-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi Scott, one use for a bit of capacity on the left of the blade that I've used, is for making stopped dadoes in cabinet tops.

I make one stopped dado with the fence on the left of the blade, the other stopped dado with the fence on the right of the blade.

I've never needed more than 32" rip capacity due to the designs I use.

Regards, Rod.

Chuck Schultz
05-25-2010, 1:41 PM
Scott, I did exactly what you're referring to on my saw a few months ago. I have the 30" Biesemeyer fence that I shifted about 10" to the right to give me 40" total. I think it still leaves about 3 - 4" to the left of the blade which I still never use anyways.

I just shifted the entire tube to the right and left both angle irons as is. When you do this, there are I think three holes in the angle iron line up with the tube. I drilled and tapped the remaining holes after reattaching the tube where the three holes lined up.

It was quite an easy procedure and I have used the extra capacity several times since then.

Mike Reinholtz
05-25-2010, 4:34 PM
I've thought about doing this many times but have one concern- what do you do for measurements? I really like the built in tape measure.

Silly I know, but it's a convenience...

Scott Schwake
05-25-2010, 4:39 PM
what do you do for measurements? I really like the built in tape measure.

I hear you Mike, I figured if I do it, I would get a replacement tape, I think I've seen them at Lee Valley and other places.

Chuck Schultz
05-25-2010, 5:48 PM
I've thought about doing this many times but have one concern- what do you do for measurements? I really like the built in tape measure.

Silly I know, but it's a convenience...

When I moved the rails, I just moved the measuring tape as well. I was able to peel off the measuring tape from the rail and then mark two reference points and replace the tape. It's been dead on ever since.

On the occasion that I do go over 30" for a cut, I just use a separate tape to check the measurement.

John McClanahan
05-25-2010, 6:08 PM
I have a Jet fence on my Craftsman, and I do the same as Chuck did. I'm limited on space, so I keep the rail centered with the table. If I need the extra capacity, I can just shift the rail.

John