PDA

View Full Version : Someone Else w/ a Bansaw Question - help spend my money!

Wayne Bitting
05-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Howdy All - I’ve been out of the shop since my daughter was born last year, but it looks like it’s time to get out there again and I need your help! I’m looking to add full size band saw to my lineup for a first Father’s Day gift. The saw will be for occasional weekend use for either resawing stock or getting stock ready for the lathe. I’m looking at the Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw (I hear the local Woodcraft has it on sale for $700) or the Jet 14" Deluxe Pro Bandsaw. The Rikon has 13” of resaw vs the 12” on the Jet and the Rikon also comes with a fence (even if its sub-par, it’s a start). I was going to go for the Jet, but the extras with the Rikon and the $200 cheaper price (Jet doesn’t have a fence so tack on another $100), so I’m leaning towards the Rikon more. Anyone have any experience with either one?
I could also use some advise on blade companies? Are there any to stay away from? Is the Kreg bandsaw fence worth the upgrade in the future?
Thanks for helping me spend money! -w

glenn bradley
05-25-2010, 10:21 AM
I was shopping the Rikon and it appears to be a good saw although most report problems trying to run it on 110v. Probably not due to the saw but more likely due to using whatever outlet is nearby and not running an appropriate, dedicated 110v circuit.

As to 13" over 12" of resaw, if you are going to be resawing 12" regularly, get a bigger saw. As to the fence being "sub-par" but being "a start", I would not want to make $700 my price point for "a start". I would go a few hundred more and buy the saw that you will have for a long, long time. My point is that, for me, $300 is "a start" and $700 is nudging into the 17" saw area so for not much more, you're in for life.

I went with the G0513X due to an unexpected deal that came along while I was saving for the Rikon. I am very happy with the machine as many others are. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Rod Sheridan
05-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi Wayne, I have no comments regarding the Rikon versus any other saw in particular, however I have the following general comments;

- I found a 14" saw to not be that great for resawing, and went with a larger 17" machine.

- low table height is good for resawing, think of trying to saw up a 3 foot long log of hardwood, lower is better.

- for resaw I think 1 1/2 to 2 HP is ideal for a mid size saw such as a 17"

- the fence for resaw can either be an attachment to the stock fence if it's a good one, or even better make a higher plywood fence assembly that can be "C" clamped to the machine.

- I'm sometimes not smart enough to spend enough money the first time, which makes we repeat the process via an upgraded machine later. If you can afford it, spend more on the band saw and keep it for life.

- make sure if you buy a smaller saw that it's strong enough to tension a blade of the size that you want to use.

- if the saw is going to be a keeper, try to buy from a manufacturer rather than an importer as they may have better control over the parts availability 20 years from now.

If I were in the USA and looking for a band saw, Laguna would be one of the prime contenders for me.

Regards, Rod.

John Mark Lane
05-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Oh boy, another bandsaw thread!

I'm shopping in the same price point/size, enjoying the "research" as I finish out the space that will be the shop (basement room). The Rikon 14 Deluxe has been hovering at the top of my list for a while, thanks largely to info from the folks here. The tall cast iron Jet 14 is very appealing, but it's pretty tall at 77 inches and I have a low ceiling with ductwork, trying to stay under 75 inches or less if possible.

Not to confuse things, but have you looked into the Jet JWBS 16? It's a steel frame saw, 71 inches high, 10 inch resaw capacity, runs on 110 (at 11.5 amps) (or 220), 1 1/2 hp motor, and takes a blade up to 1 1/2 inches wide. Footprint appears to be about the same as the Rikon, although it may be "bigger" overall (as the Rikon frame looks shallower). It's a little more money ($1099 from amazon with free shipping). Doesn't come with a fence but big deal. It's very tempting once you decide to spend closer to a grand anyway....

Stephen Cherry
05-25-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't know if this is OK or not, but right now there is a rockwell 14 bandsaw on the york craigslist for 150. if you look, you need to search for "band saw", and also "bandsaw"

I like that one.

and a jet in harrisburg for 300 with carter guides

etc, etc, etc, why pay full price when half price gets you everything but the shine.

Van Huskey
05-25-2010, 2:02 PM
I am a fan of steel saws over cast in most cases and at the price point would pick the Rikon.

Now, I will echo what others have said, if you plan to resaw or prep lathe stock at or near 12-13" you will be a lot happier with a bigger more capable saw.

If you don't want to spend more money right now I would suggest a used saw, a cast Delta "clone" which will let you determine if that extra money for a bigger saw is indeed warranted. Either way you can probably get all or most of your money out of reselling that saw.

Callan Campbell
05-25-2010, 2:13 PM
Wayne, I have, and LOVE, the 14" Rikon[10-325 model] Not sure what's subpar about the stock fence, as it does everything I need of it. But I haven't worked with all the custom or aftermarket BS fences out there, so I can't add to that aspect of bandsaw fences.
Plenty of power, but the most resawing I've done so far was only 6 inch tall White Oak, 5/4 thick. I only use it with 220v, and the light is on a seperate 110v outlet. I only regret not buying a decent Bandsaw years ago. I KNOW I was put off on the tools/machines since all my previous experience with bandsaws was on misaligned, not maintained, and underpowered units. This WOULD distort anyone's views on what a nice Band Saw is capable of, and how much fun they are to use.
Once you get what ever unit you want, and if it's a decent BS to begin with, you'll be off and running with it. Good luck and have fun.

Wayne Bitting
05-25-2010, 3:50 PM
Decisions decisions - now I've got to add the Grizz to the list! Thanks for the opions, when I get home I'm going to measure up the logs I have to see if 12 or 13 really makes a difference for turning stock prep. And then the research continues...

Rick Markham
05-25-2010, 6:51 PM
I'll just echo what has been said, Buy the most machine ya can! It's worth a little extra money to buy something that you won't "outgrow" or just isn't quite enough saw for even what you want to do right now. Remember, the Steel saws of larger size very rarely have a larger footprint than the 14" saws on stands. If space is a premium (in my shop it is) I wanted the most saw I could afford, as well as the most efficient use of space.

Get something more than "adequate" and keep it for a lifetime, you'll end up spending more money in the end just buying a "stop gap" solution and then replacing it later.

Van Huskey
05-25-2010, 7:01 PM
IF you really going to be sawing 12-13" stock more than a couple of times a year you really need to look at more machine. The 513/514 Grizzlys and the 18" Rikon are excellent step up machines that are still value priced. There is still CL but I never have luck there but a lot of people do.

Dave MacArthur
05-25-2010, 11:55 PM
G0513 17" grizzly on sale now for $825, G0513X2 for $895. I concur with all the above, but would push to 17" griz if you're buying new and willing to spend $700 but have thoughts you might not be satisfied with Rikon.

When you're searching Craigs List, don't use the word "bansaw" (no such thing), use "band saw" and "bandsaw" or you won't get any hits--maybe that's why you haven't found the good deals yet! ;)

Curt Harms
05-26-2010, 9:18 AM
G0513 17" grizzly on sale now for $825, G0513X2 for $895. I concur with all the above, but would push to 17" griz if you're buying new and willing to spend $700 but have thoughts you might not be satisfied with Rikon.
;)

If the G0513 saws work for you (ability to move it, needs 240 volt circuit, not too tall etc.) that's quite a bit more saw for $125-$195, especially for processing green logs for turning. I have the Rikon 10-325 and it works great for occasional resawing and ripping etc. but I'd be pretty skeptical about using it green turning stock.