PDA

View Full Version : Follow up: Do I need a Hammar/drill

Don Morris
05-25-2010, 8:46 AM
I just installed the metal trellis to a brick chimney and ended up using a borrowed hammar/drill. Paul McGaha, a fellow creeker, saw my post and generously offered to loan me his as he lives not too far from my location. Creekers Rock! The trellis had 2 welded brackets with 3/8" mounting holes, thus I realized there would be no room for play. The trellis weighed well over 100+ lbs. The 2 holes in the mortar needed to be spot on. Something my one time use of my woodworking DeWalt drill told me would be difflcult to impossible to accomplish. It was mentioned the hammar/drill could make those holes with more precision. I'm here to tell those who haven't had an opportunity to try a hammar/drill that is absolutely true! I made a template out of 1/2" MDF and when I put the hammar/drill up to the marks, it went into the mortar with ease and no drift. I had a little hiccup because I tapped the anchor all the way into the mortar to the washer leaving too little thread exposed for the nut to grab after I put the bracket up against it, but a crowbar solved that problem. When I tightened the anchors, they seemed tight. After tapping in the soil around the feet, the trellis is rock solid. If I were needing to drill in cement, or mortar on a regular basis, no question, I'd buy a hammar/drill. But in 20 yrs, I've only now had to drill 4 holes. I just couldn't justify spending over $200 - 300 for a good one. The cheap ones just don't get good reviews. Paul's was a top of the line one and invaluable in accomplishing this project with ease. But LOML is aware that if the need should arise again....