PDA

View Full Version : Just a little more, just a little....

Mark Burge
05-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Arrgghh!!

I was just getting the bottom curve going, when I got a catch. It wrenched the vase from the chuck and slammed it against my hollowing tool, taking out the rim.

Oh, well time to quit for the night, isn't it? Design opportunities tomorrow.

Karl Card
05-25-2010, 4:49 AM
It must be the moon or something....lol

I was turning a square bowl like the one at marleyturned.com and was using a very crisp brittle piece of wood from australia and well one of the legs did not like my tool so it became a mexican sombrero for speedy gonzales...

John Keeton
05-25-2010, 6:15 AM
Bummer, Mark!! I hope the tenon/recess is OK, and still looks like you can do something with the piece - possible do an applied collar from contrasting wood?

Steve Schlumpf
05-25-2010, 7:38 AM
This is called a design opportunity! Remove the broken sections and smooth out the wood to go for more of a pitcher look or glue everything back together and go for a segmented detail ring.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Mark Burge
05-25-2010, 8:41 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys. Karl, I don't know why my mistakes don't make something neat like sombreros. I seem to just get firewood!:rolleyes:

I am including a side view so people can see what I've got to work with. I'll try something with it. I've never tried segmenting, but this is working backward I think (don't you segment then turn?). Actually, John's idea of a collar is the most intriguing to me thus far.

Watch out for the bad moon, thanks, and happy turning.

Tim Rinehart
05-25-2010, 8:55 AM
Bummer, Mark!! I hope the tenon/recess is OK, and still looks like you can do something with the piece - possible do an applied collar from contrasting wood?

As big as a piece as that is, a nice dark wood, walnut perhaps, to replace the entire top area of the form, perhaps with a segmented transition ring between.

One nice thing...you'll be able to get the lower section of that form perfect, with no opening to worry about.

I think it's a great design opportunity, and quite honestly...one I would consider trying intentionally.

The other nice thing...you'll be able to completely finish the inside of the upper portion before mating them up, allowing any size opening you want.

Hope you decide to try...would love to see pics.

Good luck!

Mark Burge
05-25-2010, 9:27 AM
One nice thing...you'll be able to get the lower section of that form perfect, with no opening to worry about.
You're right Tim. The way it was, I was having a lot of end grain tear out on the top and the hollowing was a bit tricky. I'm beginning to think that this was a wake up call to try some things outside my comfort zone. I just happen to have some walnut boards.:)

Frank Van Atta
05-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Methinks it would make a stunning vase with a deep "V" carved in the rim and about a third of the way down.

GLENN THOMAS
05-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks for posting the pics, It always makes me feel so much better to know Im not the only one !!

GT

Richard Madison
05-25-2010, 4:57 PM
Mark, your piece looks end grain, pith centered?? If so you would not want a typical segmented ring added, as you would be making a cross grain joint. Might lead to wood movement problems.

Mark Burge
05-25-2010, 5:08 PM
Mark, your piece looks end grain, pith centered?? If so you would not want a typical segmented ring added, as you would be making a cross grain joint. Might lead to wood movement problems.
Richard, Yes it is end grain, pith centered. So, you are right, that would make for problems. Hmmm.

Methinks it would make a stunning vase with a deep "V" carved in the rim and about a third of the way down.
Maybe carving is the way to go.

Thanks for posting the pics, It always makes me feel so much better to know Im not the only one !!
GT
You are quite welcome. I can post more to make everyone feel really good!:)

Thanks for the comments everyone

David DeCristoforo
05-25-2010, 5:40 PM
"This is called a design opportunity!"

Like they say... "Just what I needed. Another opportunity!