PDA

View Full Version : segmenters! what saw do you use?

Dan Cannon
05-24-2010, 9:33 PM
It seems like the majority of the tutorials and videos show the pieces to a segmented bowl or vessel being cut by a table saw with a sled for precise angles. Just wondering why more people don't use a miter saw, rather than the table saw. Most miter saws would be capable of the precise angles, wouldn't they?

Thanks,
Dan

David DeCristoforo
05-24-2010, 9:38 PM
Miter saws also have a deep love for flinging small pieces across the shop. Preferably right at an exposed body part....

Michelle Rich
05-24-2010, 9:45 PM
I posted earlier today an 800 piece seg. vessel that was made on a human powered miterbox..I also use a tablesaw & sled. I avoid the electric mitersaw as the pieces can be projectiles. :D

Thom Sturgill
05-24-2010, 9:47 PM
Many do use miter saws, but IMHO nothing beats a well made jig for repeatability.

John Beaver
05-24-2010, 9:55 PM
I guess I'm the odd man out here.
I prefer a miter saw.

Bill Bulloch
05-24-2010, 10:07 PM
I use the table saw and sleds. I started out using the Miter saw, but couldn't get it adjusted for the precision cuts necessary for segmenting.

David Warkentin
05-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I also use a table saw and sled. Works great. David

Richard Madison
05-24-2010, 10:58 PM
T.S. & S. here too, but our fearless leader uses a miter saw (which retails for about $1,200). Assuming a rigid saw and high quality blade a M.S. should work fine. My DeWalt saw would require an auxiliary miter box to cover the gap in the rear fence.

Curt Fuller
05-24-2010, 11:09 PM
T.S. & S. here too, but our fearless leader uses a miter saw (which retails for about $1,200). Assuming a rigid saw and high quality blade a M.S. should work fine. My DeWalt saw would require an auxiliary miter box to cover the gap in the rear fence.
For the minimal amount of segmenting I've done I've tried both the tablesaw with sled and a power miter saw. I use the miter saw the most but only because of convenience in my work area. I use a sacrificial strip of wood clamped to the rear fence to help prevent the launching (and losing) of the pieces.

Justin Stephen
05-24-2010, 11:19 PM
How about a radial arm saw? I know I have seen at least one segmented form video that used it.

Richard Madison
05-24-2010, 11:34 PM
How about a radial arm saw? I know I have seen at least one segmented form video that used it.

Depends on the saw. Would not consider using my old Craftsman RAS, as it is too flexible and imprecise. A heavier and better built RAS might be fine, as are some of the modern sliding compound miter saws.

Also depends upon whether one sands the cut segment surfaces with some precision and accuracy. Precision gets you a flat surface and accuracy gets you the correct angle (more or less). If you sand, almost any saw will do. If not, you need a flat, very smooth cut off the saw.

Randy Gazda
05-24-2010, 11:41 PM
I use a miter saw that I purchase used for $100. Sand to fit if needed.

Mike Golka
05-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Started with a sled and table saw but now have a good quality miter saw.

Paul Douglass
05-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Might be a help if some would post some pictures of the sleds they use. I have build a sled but it is very basic and questionable accuracy.

Dan Cannon
05-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I can see where a table saw could be safer, and maybe more precise. unfortunately, mine is an old craftsman cast iron saw with a seemingly slight problem with the arbor. Can't get the blade to track perfectly straight. It's barely noticable, but I would imagine could cause problems for this type of project. I'll have to run some trials to see if I can get the precision I would need out of it.

Greg Just
05-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Table saw and sled for repeatability. My cheapo miter saw is not nearly accurate enough. I also use one of those digital angle cubes to set me blade angle.

Robert McGowen
05-25-2010, 12:48 PM
I use a table saw and a shop-built sled. I actually purchased a very nice compound miter saw to cut segments with, but I much prefer the table saw. I did build a six-sided picnic table with the miter saw though! I just pretended the boards were really big segments! :D

Matt Owen
05-25-2010, 12:49 PM
I have used both, and prefer the TS with a Sled. I started with the MS set up as explained in Malcom Tibbet's book, which works well and is fairly safe. However, I got tired of dragging out my MS and getting saw dust all over myself (I don't have any dust collection for this tool).

Also, it's easier for me to adjust the TS sled, and then lock in the setting so I don't have to do it each time I use a different set up.

Matt

David Warkentin
05-25-2010, 1:22 PM
Paul, if you don't have Malcolm's book, buy it. I built my sled per his instructions. Works well! David

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-25-2010, 3:47 PM
In my opinion, there's really no "best" way to cut segments. To each his own. If I only did a few segmented pieces, I might be cutting using a TS and sled, but that's not the case. Some of my projects requires 100's (if not 1,000's) of cuts. Doing that many cuts on my table saw would completely wipe-out my back. With my miter saw setup, I can more easily gang-cut pieces. Sometimes, I’m able to cut four or more segments per cut; and my saw is positioned quite high so I never have to bend my back. Regarding safety, with the right set-up, I believe the miter saw is actually safer. With one hand on the saw's handle and one hand occupied holding down the cut-off with a hold down device and with the habit of waiting for the blade to stop before raising the handle, there's never an opportunity to come in contact with a moving blade. Also, unlike the TS, the blade is spinning away from the operator. I've easily cut several 100,000 pieces on my chop saws and never once has a piece been thrown. I see many types of TS sleds were the operator routinely has to retrieve a cut-off from the side of a spinning blade. Some use a pencil eraser, some even use their fingers. Eventually, I think this procedure has a much higher risk factor. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it. :):)

Karl Card
05-25-2010, 4:29 PM
Miter saws also have a deep love for flinging small pieces across the shop. Preferably right at an exposed body part....

haha dont ask me how I know this... but it does hurt....

Ryan Baker
05-25-2010, 8:57 PM
Table saw and sled for me. I know that miter saws work well for some (like Malcolm), and they can be safe with the proper jigs/clamps, but I find that intolerable (and inaccurate) with my saw. I may feel differently if I had a Kapex...

I think it's just a preference issue. Any of them could be made to be accurate and safe with enough effort. You just need to invest the time and effort in getting the jigs set up in the first place. That said, I would never consider using the radial arm saw to cut something that size ... just the thought scares me...

Don Alexander
05-25-2010, 9:21 PM
no matter which saw you use there is some setup and fine tuning necessary to cut accurately and safely and the precision will require a quality blade

anything less is risking an undesirable result

wood is replaceable body parts are not