PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly jointer spiral head upgrade question

Michael Roland
05-24-2010, 9:33 PM
I purchased a used Grizzly 8" jointer that is a bit rusty and I am cleaning it up to get it ready for service. The cutter head is pretty rusty and I was thinking of replacing it instead of trying to clean it.

I noticed that Grizzly currently has the GRizzly and Byrd heads on sale. My question is how is the GRizzly head? Is it a good choice for an upgrade or should I spend the extra cash and go for the Byrd?

Besides ebing lower in price the Grizzly head has the pulley and bearings in place and ready to mount.

Any advice is appreciated.

Michael

ed vitanovec
05-24-2010, 10:44 PM
I put a byrd 8" on my shopfox, the head came with new bearings already installed. It took about 20 minutes to install, very easy. I think it was a worth while upgrade/investment. It cuts really nice and is quiter than the OEM head, plus know knive setting jigs required.

Regards!
Ed

Simon Dupay
05-25-2010, 4:25 AM
Go for the byrd head, helical heads is so much better then spiral heads like the grizzly.

Mark Rakestraw
05-25-2010, 6:38 AM
I understand the shear angle cut of the Byrd SHOULD be better, but I have the grizzly head in my 8" jointer and the byrd in my 15" planer and I'm hardpressed to see a difference. If there is a difference the shear angle leaves a more pronounced scallop.
Mark

Joe Chritz
05-25-2010, 7:08 AM
Effectively there is no difference. Rumor has it they are both produced by the same people but I haven't seen any hard evidence to that fact.

Putting the bearings on isn't hard with a press. I had a local auto shop do it for me and since I know the owner it was a freebee.

I have the Byrd head but wouldn't have a problem either way.

Joe

Paul Greathouse
05-25-2010, 8:51 AM
Michael

I have the Grizzly 609X, which has the 12" Grizzly spiral head in it. I don't see how cut quality could be improved in any way. Go with the Grizzly head and save yourself some money.

The carbide cutters on the Grizzly head are of good quality. I've had mine for 2 years now and haven't had to rotate the cutters yet.

jason lambert
05-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Go for the byrd head would be my vote. They spend alot of time balancing it and grinding to refine it. They just run smooth as can be, no vibration. I can't compair to the Grizzly head but I have seen other knock off's that are not made in the us that are hit or miss if you get a well balanced one. Cuts on all of them are good it is more about how they spin. Also I don't know about the Grizley but the byrds have a ton of cutters on them.

Neal Clayton
05-25-2010, 11:16 AM
from having those heads on two machines, the diameter on the head makes alot more difference than anything else, and the smaller diameter on a jointer head will scallop more than a planer head no matter who made it, i think.

glenn bradley
05-25-2010, 1:21 PM
Having run boards through both I can say that even in curly maple there was no difference. The shearing angle makes sense but running all but the maximum allowed size of board across the non-shearing head at a slight angle is very possible if there is concern.

I don't know what the price difference is but if it was close enough not to matter I would probably favor the head that was specifically made to go in the machine; they may both be. I know Grizzly is now offering two different German made heads in addition to the Byrds, all at different prices. I am not sure why but assume there is a reason.