PDA

View Full Version : Maple burl bowl..er..ah.. I mean platter..uh..or..something

David DeCristoforo
05-24-2010, 9:16 PM
...well... I'm not quite sure what it is. I've seen similar turnings so it's nothing "new" except to me. Funny thing is, this thing is almost impossible to get a good picture of. I probably took fifty pics but could not get one that didn't look 2D. Anyway...there it is. "Finished" with wax.

Thomas Canfield
05-24-2010, 9:26 PM
Great looking piece. The wood is exceptional, and your details are clean. I don't know what to call it escept GREAT.

Rich Greinert
05-24-2010, 9:47 PM
This is a very beautiful piece. What are the dimensions? And, could you explain how you attached it to the lathe and how you finish turned the bottom?

Thanks,
Rich

Pete Jordan
05-24-2010, 9:49 PM
David,

You couldn't have done a better job!

Very special piece!

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2010, 9:56 PM
Now that is some beautiful wood! Great job on your platter! Looks like it would work well for wall art just as easily!

Nice work David!

alex carey
05-24-2010, 9:58 PM
well whatever it is its beautiful.

David DeCristoforo
05-24-2010, 10:05 PM
"What are the dimensions?"

12" X 11" X 2"

"...could you explain how you attached it to the lathe and how you finish turned the bottom..."

Attached to a faceplate to turn the recess for mounting on a chuck. Flipped it over and mounted it on the chuck. Turned and finished everything I could get at and then used the set of "Cole" jaws in expansion mode to grip the inside of the "bowl" edge. Finished up the bottom from there. I had to do some sanding "off the lathe" because the "wings" were real "knuckle busters" out at the edge. I left the "wings" about a half inch thick to preserve some of the natural edge of the burl.

PS I also used a block of wood jammed between the bottom of the "bowl" and the tailstock to keep things secure while I thinned and shaped the "wing".

gary Zimmel
05-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Nice chunk of wood that you made into one sweet platter David...

John Keeton
05-24-2010, 10:21 PM
David, I think the pics actually do show the depth and dimension of this piece, and you did a fantastic job with it!! I knew it wouldn't be long before we saw some great stuff from you - you couldn't hide those years of design work for long!!

Beautiful wood, and just a great piece!

David DeCristoforo
05-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Aw, shucks... well thanx ya'll. I've got some more burl caps so I might play around with this form for a while...

Mark Burge
05-25-2010, 12:03 AM
That's a beautiful, uh, thing you made there. I really like the highlights in the burl. It's a real Rorschach in there.

Dave MacArthur
05-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Well, I took one look at it and thought, "I'd buy that". Then it occurred to me that I hadn't had that thought often while browsing projects. Which tells me that first, I really like it. And second, I guess I kind of like flat platter things, more than hollow forms? That wood is beautiful, and I like the bowl shape sticking up out of the wings.

Nice! Where did you acquire the wood for this?

Jeff Nicol
05-25-2010, 4:32 AM
David, These typse of shallow turnings on burl caps have always been one of my favorites. Like yours, one never knows what is under the bark until the cutting is done, and even then until some sort of finish is applied the true beauty is not known. The chunk of maple burl you used on this piece has some of everything from the true growth rings to wonderful "Eyes" and the colors are super! The shape of course is mostly dictated by the burl cap you started with but the way you brought it all together works very well!

Nice work,

Jeff

Karl Card
05-25-2010, 4:53 AM
that wood is just awesome, but so is the turning.

As othes have said would make a wonderful wall art, anything.

steven carter
05-25-2010, 8:16 AM
David,

This is a beautiful platter or wall hanging!

Steve

charlie knighton
05-25-2010, 9:40 AM
nice form, excellant job of keeping it together

Frank Van Atta
05-25-2010, 11:27 AM
A combination bowl and platter . . . just don't try to use if for both at once.

A beautiful piece.

Mike Minto
05-25-2010, 11:33 AM
yes, call it what one will, it's a very nice turning and beautiful piece of wood.

Robert McGowen
05-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Very nice, David.

James Combs
05-25-2010, 1:18 PM
I probably wouldn't buy it but then again I tend to make what I want but it is definitely great looking wood and nice to look at.

Roland Martin
05-25-2010, 3:56 PM
That is a great looking piece of maple, it does have some of everything. Very well done, form & finish. A winged platter-bowl?:) Awesome looking turning!

David DeCristoforo
05-25-2010, 5:41 PM
"A combination bowl and platter..."

A bolatter?

Donny Lawson
05-25-2010, 10:18 PM
That is a very nice piece of work.
Donny