PDA

View Full Version : Highland WWing-plane repair kit

Larry James
05-24-2010, 8:18 PM
I searched SMC for this topic - no hits.

Highland Woodworking sells plane repair kits. Look under Hand Plane Repair Parts.

For example, Pt.#171905 is described as: 2” bench plane frog kit (numbers in parentheses indicate location in exploded view) “This hand plane repair kit fits #4 and #5 bench planes. Includes Frog (4), Depth Adjuster (5), Depth Adjustment Screw (6), Frog Mounting Screws & Washers (7), and Depth Adjustment Yoke (14).”

The cost is about 20 bucks. No info given about OEM plane type(s) the kits apply to.

Anyone have info or experience with these repair kits? Hard to believe these parts could be reproduced and be of the same quality and fit as the Stanley originals for $20. Could I be missing something here?

Thanks, Larry

Jonathan McCullough
05-24-2010, 9:56 PM
I think they are OEM (Stanley) parts, probably from recent castings. I've never considered whether various Baileys are radically different enough for different frogs to be a problem. Maybe you should call Highland up and ask them, if you have a particular project/parts need. Stanley also sells parts.

Greg Wease
05-24-2010, 10:46 PM
These frogs are the later models and are definitely not the same quality as the older ones. Similarly, the handle sets are plastic. I would buy a donor plane of the same (or similar) Type instead. The hardware package for $10 that includes most of the screws and knobs you might need is a good deal. It is the same package Stanley sells directly but ordering from Highland Hardware gives you an excuse to buy other good stuff at the same time.

Larry James
05-24-2010, 10:47 PM
... Stanley also sells parts.

Thanks Jonathan,
I see Stanley also has parts for my #59 dowel jig, #80 scraper and a fence I need for my Dad's old #78 plane.

Thanks again, Larry

Larry James
05-24-2010, 11:18 PM
These frogs are the later models and are definitely not the same quality as the older ones. Similarly, the handle sets are plastic. I would buy a donor plane of the same (or similar) Type instead. The hardware package for $10 that includes most of the screws and knobs you might need is a good deal. It is the same package Stanley sells directly but ordering from Highland Hardware gives you an excuse to buy other good stuff at the same time.

Greg,

I suspected the frog quality would not the same as the original. The bench plane screw kit would be handy to have.

I have a hold on "impulse purchases", well most of the time anyway - I just bought a Stanley #6 from ebay - just couldn't resist. There are some donor #4s on ebay selling for less than $20 - not that I spend a lot of time following planes on ebay.

Thanks Greg

Jim Koepke
05-25-2010, 12:42 AM
I have a hold on "impulse purchases", well most of the time anyway - I just bought a Stanley #6 from ebay - just couldn't resist. There are some donor #4s on ebay selling for less than $20 - not that I spend a lot of time following planes on ebay.

You do need to be aware of the differences between the types when buying planes for parts. After type 10, the frogs may be interchangeable, in my opinion, the early ones are better than the later ogee shaped style.

Before type 9, you need a frog that is also pre type 9. There are differences there also. 6 through 8 are pretty much the same. Type 9 has changes in the type.

I think the earlier totes were not designed for rapping one's hand around. They is a smaller area for this than the later totes.

jim

Larry James
05-25-2010, 12:20 PM
You do need to be aware of the differences between the types when buying planes for parts. After type 10, the frogs may be interchangeable, in my opinion, the early ones are better than the later ogee shaped style. ...

Before type 9, you need a frog that is also pre type 9. There are differences there also. 6 through 8 are pretty much the same. Type 9 has changes in the type. jim
Jim,
After reading your post, I checked the type study guide at rexmill.com and found the following:

TYPE #9 (1902-1907) - ..."Frog receiver undergoes a major redesign. (This is the frog that is still used today in all Baliey Models)"...

TYPE #16 (1933-1941) - ..."New style frog. The frog now has an ogee-shape (s-shape) to the back, on either side of the lateral adjustment lever."...

There seems to be a contradiction here - #9 ..."(This is the frog that is still used today in all Baliey Models)" and #16 - ..."New style frog. The frog now has an ogee-shape (s-shape) to the back" ... Could it be the "ogee shape" is more cosmetic than functional?

So, looks like Greg's suggestion of using parts from a donor plane of similar type is a better idea than buying the kits sold by Highland or Stanley, when a frog replacement is needed. Another issue for me is where are the parts made? I would hate to contaminate a good US or UK plane with parts made in ?????.

It is amazing that in the year 2010 we are talking on the internet about tools, still in use today, that were first produced around the time the telegraph was first used.
Larry

Greg Wease
05-25-2010, 6:43 PM
The Type 9 frog has the same frog-to-base geometry as later types but no frog adjustment screw.

The Type 16 frog, in addition to the cosmetic change, has a looser fit to the base (a wider slot in front). They will bolt up to earlier bases but are sloppy.

Post a pic of the base with frog removed and we can probably tell you which types will fit and work best.