PDA

View Full Version : Griz Gloat - 12" Jointer G0609X

Hans Braul
05-24-2010, 6:32 PM
What fun! Took delivery last week and just finished setting it up - works great. So far a fantastic machine. We had to do some serious thinking about how to get this 1000 lb down the stairs to my shop but with the help of a farmer friend and my neighbour, it proved to be easy.

Hans

Mikail Khan
05-24-2010, 7:05 PM
Congrats on the new tool.

MK

Van Huskey
05-24-2010, 7:09 PM
Look forward to a full review, this will likely be my next jointer. Funny about your steps as I am actually fretting over trying to simply get it off the pallet!!! I would be fully freaked out if I had your issues, glad to hear it went well!

Joe Chritz
05-25-2010, 7:28 AM
Down should have been easy. 32.2 fps per second?

Nice looking jointer.

The big question is, if you have a 12" jointer will you then have 13" boards? Seems that what happened when I moved from 6" to 8".

Joe

Paul Greathouse
05-25-2010, 8:43 AM
Hans

Your going to love the 609X, I've had mine for 2 years now and have no complaints. The long wide bed makes it so much easier to get the job done.

Hans Braul
05-25-2010, 9:51 AM
Down should have been easy. 32.2 fps per second?

Nice looking jointer.

The big question is, if you have a 12" jointer will you then have 13" boards? Seems that what happened when I moved from 6" to 8".

Joe

Looks like I'm going to have to start shopping for a 16"

glenn bradley
05-25-2010, 10:24 AM
That is a thing of beauty. Congrats.

Mike Cruz
05-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Wow, wish I had room for that! Nice jointer. ENJOY!

Peter Aeschliman
05-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Really jealous! What a machine!

Did you have any alignment issues after having lifted the thing by the beds? Or was it aligned from the get-go?

Neal Clayton
05-25-2010, 4:28 PM

Did you have any alignment issues after having lifted the thing by the beds? Or was it aligned from the get-go?

can't speak for hans, but when i got my 8" from grizzly a few years back it was aligned from the factory within a couple of thousandths, didn't have to change anything, just attach the bed assembly to the base, plug it in, and i was in business.

Hans Braul
05-25-2010, 4:55 PM

The outfeed table was out of parallel. I found all 4 set screws loose. It was easy to adjust once I figured it out. I don't think this was caused by the move. The Grizzly manual recommends lifting the machine by slinging under the beds. With the room available I really don't know how else I could have done it.

Cheers
Hans

Van Huskey
05-25-2010, 7:11 PM

Now its time for a planer, the Grizzly looks like it is going to slide over and maul the Dewalt... :D Just get a 20" planer then you can skip the 16" jointer since you can just use a sled!

Vijay Kumar
05-25-2010, 8:26 PM
Hans congratulations. It looks very nice.
Are you planning to put this on a mobile base. The reason for my question is that I too was thinking of buying this but dont see a mobile base on the Grizzly website.

Vijay

Hans Braul
05-25-2010, 8:37 PM
Van, I'll have to keep the Griz on a short leash - I was having the same thoughts but it will be some time before I spring for a new planer. Vijay, I don't plan to move the jointer from it's present location, so a mobile base isn't necessary. I can adjust its position fairly easily by just muscling it around.

Regards
Hans

Dana Vogel
05-27-2010, 9:52 AM
This will be my next purchase, glad to see more of these getting exposure. You're a lucky guy, Enjoy!

Chip Lindley
05-27-2010, 12:02 PM
That's got to be heart-stopping to see a huge CI jointer suspended by a nylon strap! Glad you lowered the jointer successfully down your stairwell and into your basement shop! Don't press your luck with a 16"! LOL Leave well enough alone! ENJOY!

Rod Sheridan
05-27-2010, 12:34 PM
That's got to be heart-stopping to see a huge CI jointer suspended by a nylon strap! Glad you lowered the jointer successfully down your stairwell and into your basement shop! Don't press your luck with a 16"! LOL Leave well enough alone! ENJOY!

Don't worry Chip, those nylon straps are strong. I've included a photo of a 70,000 pound power module being hoisted on 8 synthetic straps.

Regards, Rod.

Simon Dupay
05-27-2010, 2:25 PM
Why only 16"? Go find a 36" porter!:D
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/[IMG]http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/images/7479-A.jpghttp://www.owwm.com/photoindex/images/7479-A.jpg

Hans Braul
05-28-2010, 9:15 PM
Don't worry Chip, those nylon straps are strong. I've included a photo of a 70,000 pound power module being hoisted on 8 synthetic straps.

Regards, Rod.

Great pic Rod, the straps we were using were rated at 3600 lb, so I know there was plenty of margin. It's just a bit worrisome to actually see the load suspended 8' above the unforgiving concrete stairs!

Hans

Keith Hankins
01-14-2011, 1:48 PM
When I priced lift straps online they were going to be expensive like 90 bucks a piece. A good friend told me to go to a truckstop and just get a ratchet strap. I went and got two for 14 bucks rated three times what I needed. Now when I moved from IL to PA the movers came to pack my shop. I wanted to see how they were going to move my jointer. It was amazing. there were 4 guys. One driver and 3 lift and tote. One of them was a college football lineman. Needless to say he was a beast. He walked over to the jointer and said this go? I said yep and did you bring a hoist. He said don't need one. He walked over squated and proceeded to lift one-end like it was a toy and his partner slide a dolly under it and he eased it down and they rolled it up the back on thos long aluminum walkways they put in the back of a big moving truck. Now keep in mind in IL it was almost flat. It arrives in PA and they need to take it down a 5 conctete step walk down to my basement through a sliding patio door at the bottom. The put that long aluminum gangplank down the steps and they rolled it on the flat dollie to the edge of the steps and he put on a harness and they walked that sucker down the ramp. To this day, i've never seen a hulk of a man like him. I dread the day I have to move that stuff out of the basement.