PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a jig

John Pratt
05-24-2010, 6:02 PM
I am installing a 36" piano hinge on a 40" chest and I need a little help with creating a jig for the mortise. I normally use no-mortise hinges for this kind of thing, but this time I want to go a different route. I am not steady enough to freehand this.

John

Joe Scharle
05-24-2010, 7:11 PM
Most hinge mortising jigs should work; mine does. Just keep sliding the jig along in increments.

Jamie Buxton
05-25-2010, 1:11 PM
Router with an edge guide. If required, square up ends with a chisel.

Rod Sheridan
05-25-2010, 2:54 PM
Hi, a marking gauge followed by a utility knife or a wide chisel will outline the mortice.

Then a minute with a router plane would clean it out, after all, you're only going 1 or 2 mm deep at the most.

Regards, Rod.

John Pratt
05-25-2010, 6:28 PM
Rod - I hadn't thought of that. I am the oposite of the Neander guys. If there is a power tool that will do the job, that is where I usually go first (except for a few meanial tasks that I like to do by hand). This might be a good job for the Stanley #92 and some sharp chisels.

Rick Markham
05-25-2010, 6:40 PM
John, in the time it would take you to set up your router with an edge guide and get everything adjusted you could have both mortises cut with your stanley #92 and your chisels ;)

The "revival" of hand tools and their use is because many tasks can and are far more efficient than their powertool counterparts. :D