PDA

View Full Version : Change Table Saw RPMs with "gear" pully

Dennis Lopeman
05-24-2010, 4:37 PM
I wanna say that I've asked this before!! At least I meant to!

I was at Grainger last week (new motor for A/C) and saw this pulley in the catalog. It's like the speed changing kind you see on drills. I was trying to find a quick picture on grainger but can't seem to find it now.

My TS burns cherry all the time and was wondering if I could reduce the speed with one of those things.

I hope I explained that right.

TIA

Joe Chritz
05-24-2010, 5:03 PM
If the pulley would fit it will slow it down.

However, if you are burning cherry it isn't the speed it is something else.

The blade is the first suspect along with alignment. An aligned saw with a sharp blade made for the cut (not ripping with a cross cut) won't burn.

Joe

Van Huskey
05-24-2010, 6:04 PM
If the pulley would fit it will slow it down.

However, if you are burning cherry it isn't the speed it is something else.

The blade is the first suspect along with alignment. An aligned saw with a sharp blade made for the cut (not ripping with a cross cut) won't burn.

Joe

Agreed, you are treating a symptom for which blade speed is not the cause.

glenn bradley
05-24-2010, 6:19 PM
+1; correct the problem. Don't try to mask it ;-)

Josiah Bartlett
05-24-2010, 7:20 PM
Changing feed speed and changing blade speed do more or less the same thing. Assuming your blade is aligned properly and sharp (sounds like one or the other isn't), then speeding up the feed is the same as slowing down the blade as long as you don't bog out your motor.

Dennis Lopeman
05-24-2010, 9:08 PM
YOu know - it is a Freud combo blade... Sorry guys - I see things and then I think of things I can use them for!! I'm a backwards engineer!!! LOL

Don Jarvie
05-24-2010, 9:40 PM
What kind of saw? Is cherry the only wood or do other hardwoods do the same?

Add a Thin kerf blade perhaps?

Follow the suggestions about the saw setup and go from there.

Rick Potter
05-25-2010, 2:47 AM
You already have your answers, but, I will answer about the blade speed anyway. The easiest way to slow down your blade speed is to use a smaller blade, like a 7 1/4". They make some nice ones now.

Rick Potter

Karl Card
05-25-2010, 5:04 AM
You already have your answers, but, I will answer about the blade speed anyway. The easiest way to slow down your blade speed is to use a smaller blade, like a 7 1/4". They make some nice ones now.

Rick Potter

I feels so stupid when the easiest possiblities are in front of you and I still dont see them... glasses dont help either...lol

Dennis Lopeman
05-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks Guys!

Lemme quickly answer:

I have a thin kerf blade - Freud - combo - 40tooth I think? I'll change it!

7 1/4" - cool - I have some of those I got on sale from some BORG - freud's too!

All hardwoods experience it... due to what you guys are already saying... and I proly need to sharpen/clean my blades, too!

I forgot to mention that I would also like to cut aluminum sometimes, and I think when I was making my router fence (you can find my thread somewhere) I was cutting the aluminum part and little bits seemed to melt into the metal cutting blade I used. I thought, GEE, it would be nice if I could just slow the blade down!! (or use my ShopSmith... hmmmmmm)

Dennis Lopeman
05-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I feels so stupid when the easiest possiblities are in front of you and I still dont see them... glasses dont help either...lol

Oh yeah - I just hit the big 4-oh a couple months ago... and I need glasses now! Right on schedule!

Stephen Cherry
05-25-2010, 1:21 PM
alignment- I have an el cheapo blade that dosn't burn cherry if I run it through strait, but the blade and fence are ligned up with the slot.

it's easy, line up the fence with the slot, then the blade to the fence, using only one tooth of the blade.

Don Jarvie
05-25-2010, 1:41 PM
You didn't say what kind of saw you have. If you put on a new blade and it still happens either the saw is misaligned or under powered.