PDA

View Full Version : 14 Inch vs 17 Inch Bandsaw question...

Maik Tobin
05-24-2010, 4:05 PM
I am finally ready to get a bandsaw. After reading all the reviews, I have narrowed it down to either the 14 or 17 inch Grizzly extreme bandsaw.
I currently do not have 220v outlets in my basement shop, but I do have the space in my service box for one. I would suspect that the biggest use for me will be resawing and cutting curved aprons for the tables I make.
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who decided on either of these saws and the reason they selected one over the other. Also, anyone that bought the 14 and later regretted not opting for the 17.

Thanks,

Maik

Jason White
05-24-2010, 4:15 PM
I have an older JET 14" bandsaw and am constantly wishing I had the resaw capacity of a larger saw. Get the bigger one! That's my vote.

Jason

I am finally ready to get a bandsaw. After reading all the reviews, I have narrowed it down to either the 14 or 17 inch Grizzly extreme bandsaw.
I currently do not have 220v outlets in my basement shop, but I do have the space in my service box for one. I would suspect that the biggest use for me will be resawing and cutting curved aprons for the tables I make.
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who decided on either of these saws and the reason they selected one over the other. Also, anyone that bought the 14 and later regretted not opting for the 17.

Thanks,

Maik

Prashun Patel
05-24-2010, 4:19 PM
I have the Grizzly G0555 14" (little cousin of the Xtreme saw). I wish I held out for a 17". The 14"ers can do the job with riser blocks and great blades, but for the extra $$ I still long for that power.

glenn bradley
05-24-2010, 4:20 PM
I was very close to going with the 14" Rikon with the tall re-saw height when a deal on the G0513X 17" Grizzly came along. I am extremely happy with it like many 513 series owners.

Brendan Plavis
05-24-2010, 4:24 PM
My advice, get as much saw as you can. Sure, a 14"er can have a riser added, but it lacks the motor that the 17"er will have, since its stock height is heigher than the 14".

But, bear in mind, that the footprint of the 14, will be much less than the 17".... in both the wallet and on the shop floor....

jason lambert
05-24-2010, 4:28 PM
Get the bigger one. More power cuts better, less binding and can resaw better and bigger. If aprons is all you want to cut with a 4" or 6" inch capsity the 14" should be ok and it is a heck of alot ligher to move. Just remember the band saw is one of the tools where there is no disadvantage to getting a bigger one.

Eric DeSilva
05-24-2010, 4:32 PM
Surprising. The consensus among a bunch of self-admitted tool junkies is that bigger and more powerful is better. :D

Lance Norris
05-24-2010, 5:16 PM
I have the Grizzly G0457. I have never felt the need for more saw. It has 2hp for resawing. Most importantly, its a steel frame saw. That, to me, is more important than wheel size. The steel frame saws are stronger and can tension higher for better resaw results. Whatever you do buy, get a steel frame saw.

Cary Falk
05-24-2010, 5:19 PM
I started out with a 14" Delta with a 1hp motor and a riser block. It had a bad vibration problema and not enough power. I upgraded to a G0513X2 two years later and am verry happy now.

Will Overton
05-24-2010, 5:35 PM
I have a 14" Powermatic and find it does everthing I need. At the time I bought it, I had been a hobbyist woodworker for over 30 years and knew what I needed.

If you are unsure, and can do it, get the larger one. It will do everything the smaller one can, so you should have no regrets.

Van Huskey
05-24-2010, 6:01 PM
The single most important part of a bandsaw used for resawing (assuming a quality saw and being well tuned) is the blade. One of the major criteria for the blade is as wide a blade as the saw can properly tension. The second is the best quality of cut and good blade life comes from carbide tipped blades like the Trimaster and Resaw King. Carbide blades work longer and better on bigger wheels particularly when they are wide.

For resawing buy the biggest wheel you can afford. Although many people accomplish resawing on a 14" BS even a Delta "clone" when it comes to bandsaws and resawing size DOES matter.

Maik Tobin
05-25-2010, 8:16 AM
Thanks for the responses...actually the 14 and the 17 both have 2HP motors, but the 14 does have a steel frame, which I have read is important...kinda surprised that there was only one mention of this fact. Also, the price difference is not substantial either (approx $150), so price is a non issue.

John Mark Lane
05-25-2010, 9:11 AM
Thanks for the responses...actually the 14 and the 17 both have 2HP motors, but the 14 does have a steel frame, which I have read is important...kinda surprised that there was only one mention of this fact. Also, the price difference is not substantial either (approx $150), so price is a non issue.

Maybe that's because the Grizzly "Extreme" 14 inch bandsaw (G0555X) has a 1 1/2 hp motor and a cast iron frame. I think the comments were mostly assuming that was the 14 inch saw you were referring to, since you used the word "extreme"?

The only 14 inch bandsaw Grizzly makes with a 2 hp motor is the that I see is the G0457, which they call the "Deluxe". This is also the only Grizzly 14 incher with a steel frame, and it has a 2 hp motor. My guess is that's what you were referring to. Probably makes sense to use model numbers.

Maik Tobin
05-25-2010, 9:40 AM
Maybe that's because the Grizzly "Extreme" 14 inch bandsaw (G0555X) has a 1 1/2 hp motor and a cast iron frame. I think the comments were mostly assuming that was the 14 inch saw you were referring to, since you used the word "extreme"?

The only 14 inch bandsaw Grizzly makes with a 2 hp motor is the that I see is the G0457, which they call the "Deluxe". This is also the only Grizzly 14 incher with a steel frame, and it has a 2 hp motor. My guess is that's what you were referring to. Probably makes sense to use model numbers.

Good point....thanks for pointing that out.

jason lambert
05-25-2010, 10:02 AM
If price and space are a non issue and the saws are close why not get the bigger one? Is it the 220v? If you have your breaker box near it is not a big job to put in a 220v outlet. Also on most motors a 220v 2hp motor will be a bit better, more consistant tork, start faster etc than a 110v 2hp.

One other thing to consider if you ever try to resell there are tons of people looking to upgrade there 14" to something bigger it is much easer to sell a bigger bandsaw. Good luck on you decision eithor way you go they both sound like nice saws.

Josiah Bartlett
05-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Get the biggest, heaviest band saw you can afford. It really is worth it. Big bandsaws are just plain effortless to use, and the extra mass makes them run smoother. I have a 16" Walker Turner, and to me it is the bare minimum. Its a wonderful, smooth running saw, but I would go for a 20" or bigger if I had the space. It isn't a question of power- 2hp on a bandsaw is plenty for just about any vertical bandsaw, its the smoothness, resaw capacity, and table size and strength of a big saw that make them so nice.