PDA

View Full Version : Peppermill

gary Zimmel
05-24-2010, 3:44 PM
12" Walnut peppermill.
This is the first time I have made a 12" one and have to get my proportions down a bit better.

Seems to be top heavy, or too skinny on the bottom.
What do you think?

And a quick pic comparing the 12" and a 8".

After a few more of these 12" I would like to do some 18" and 24" ones.

John Keeton
05-24-2010, 4:48 PM
Gary, are you stocking up for the opening of a white linen restaurant!!!:D

Beautiful wood, and while you did better than could I on this one, it may be a bit top heavy, but it still looks good. Instead of larger bottom, can you reduce the top any? I don't have any idea of how the guts on these things work, so that may not work.

How does one handle the drilling for the 24" ones? Seems like that would be a real challenge!

Robert McGowen
05-24-2010, 4:54 PM
I am sure that it is all in the perception, but I think that the 8" mill looks bottom heavy and that the 12" mill is a lot nicer shape. :rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2010, 5:56 PM
Gary - I agree with Robert - I like the 12" version better. I have to ask - a 18" and a 24" pepper mill? Just how big are the pepper corns in Alberta? ;)

Looking forward to seeing the larger versions!

gary Zimmel
05-24-2010, 7:19 PM
The camera angle for some reason is making the 8" bottom bigger than it really is???
But as I look at them again the 12" looks better. Next one will have a little tweeking....
John, the main hole is drilled with a long extension bit that I got from LV. Never used it before, but it sure works well. Drilling from both ends it will be long enough for the 24".
Pepper corns are the same size here Steve.
What I am wondering is how many peppers corns will it take to fill the 24" one up.....:eek:

Richard Madison
05-24-2010, 8:59 PM
Gary, Might try backing the camera away and zoom in with the lens if you can. Agree that the top of the taller one could be slightly smaller diameter, but still a nice looking piece. And you can rely on my expert opinion 'cause I've made a grand total of ONE pepper mill (I'll try almost anything once). Finished turning it this morning and it's almost as good as yours (he said modestly).

David DeCristoforo
05-24-2010, 10:23 PM
" I have to ask - a 18" and a 24" pepper mill?"

Waiters love great big peppermills. That way the can reach across the table instead of having to walk around. Anyway, I like the big one better than the small one. it looks more in proportion. This is something I want to try once I get "up to speed". I'd like to make a pair. My wife likes that French salt that's very coarse, almost like rock salt so it has to be ground unless you like big chunks of salt.

Brendan Stemp
05-24-2010, 10:53 PM
If the diameter of the knob is close to (or even just a tad smaller than) the widest diameter in the body it will always appear top heavy. I always make my bodies at least 1/4" wider than the knob. Have you tried the Crushgrind mechanisms? Infinitely better than anything else on the market. I like the shape of the mills. Look to be well finished and not too much detail. Well done.

Richard Madison
05-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Welcome to the forum Brendan.

gary Zimmel
05-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the tip Brendan.
And another warm welcome to the Creek...

Mike Golka
05-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Looks good Gary. Another vote for the crushgrind, they are all I use.

Dave MacArthur
05-25-2010, 12:53 AM
I like the tall one myself.
And you know, in the case of a peppermill, beauty should follow function. I use a lot of pepper mills--I've got 15 different spices laying around I grind up for cooking. And in my opinion, a nice WIDE grip is very important! The wider grip up top gives you better torque, making it easier and more pleasureable to use. Sometimes the bottoms are made TOO wide, you can't get your hand around it since it's a cylinder vs. the top. That tall one looks like it would WORK nicely, so to me it looks good.

Karl Card
05-25-2010, 4:42 AM
I am sitting on (not literally) 25 salt/pepper grinder sets. no instructions, not anything at all but hardware. I just need to get out the micrometes and do some measuring i guess..

Anyway ver nice mill. I like both but the tall one just a tad better. Being a guy I guess I dont like to hold wimpy peppermills. I mean i literally turn they daylights out of them. In fact I wished I had a battery powered mill... I love pepper so it does get a work out.