PDA

View Full Version : Means to prevent a switch from being used

Lee Schierer
05-24-2010, 3:44 PM
Other than tape, is there a device that can be put over an existing wall switch to prevent it from accidentally being turned on or off? I'm looking for something held in place by the existing cover plate screws.

Conrad Fiore
05-24-2010, 4:01 PM
Grainger has a few.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5U715?Pid=search

Bill LaPointe
05-24-2010, 4:02 PM
Make a wood or metal swivel stop, pivoting on the cover screw. Just a thought, but it should work.

Paul Atkins
05-24-2010, 4:21 PM
Take the switch out and wire-nut the thing. Then put on a blank plate.

Zach England
05-24-2010, 4:34 PM
Do you have this problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBDrRl7d5ZA

Dan Mages
05-24-2010, 6:55 PM
If you want a permanent fix, just tie the two wires together with a wire nut.

Dan

Jim Becker
05-24-2010, 9:25 PM
I have a couple of these little covers that use the switch screws to keep in place. One has to put their finger in through the side to actually flick the switch. I use them on the switches for our outdoor lighting which under normal conditions operates with photo cells to turn on at dusk and off at dawn. But there is still the need to kill the power from time to time. These things were cheap at the borg and match the switch plates/switch in color. Note, I only use "traditional" toggles...I don't know if these are available for the larger "decorator" style switches.

neal jack
05-24-2010, 10:40 PM
If you want a permanent fix, just tie the two wires together with a wire nut.

Dan
really, i will do it soon

Lee Schierer
05-25-2010, 7:46 AM
I have a couple of these little covers that use the switch screws to keep in place. One has to put their finger in through the side to actually flick the switch. I use them on the switches for our outdoor lighting which under normal conditions operates with photo cells to turn on at dusk and off at dawn. But there is still the need to kill the power from time to time. These things were cheap at the borg and match the switch plates/switch in color. Note, I only use "traditional" toggles...I don't know if these are available for the larger "decorator" style switches.

Jim, that's what I'm looking for we have a motion sensor in the narthex at church to turn on the lights when someone enters. Unfortunately it is on a four way light circuit so if someone flips one of the other switches, the sensor doesn't work and the light stays on all the time. The sensor is positioned such that neither of the other two switches are needed. Did you get them at the Blue or Orange BORG?

Rod Sheridan
05-25-2010, 9:29 AM
Other than tape, is there a device that can be put over an existing wall switch to prevent it from accidentally being turned on or off? I'm looking for something held in place by the existing cover plate screws.

Lee, the item from Grainger previously posted is what we use to lock switches when working on lighting. That would work for your application, or you could replace the switch with a locking type that requires a small handle to be inserted into the switch to operate it.

They are available at suppliers and we use them at work for lights we don't want turned off accidentally.

Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
05-25-2010, 7:47 PM
Lee, I believe I probably got them at the Orange borg since I rarely shop at the blue place. I actually don't shop at the orange one that much anymore, preferring a local family owned home center, even though the selection is lower, but for electrical I do need to go to the borg.