PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Clewes for the Weekend, couldn't have been better!

Tim Rinehart
05-24-2010, 3:09 PM
This was a superb weekend for the Southern Piedmont Woodturners, as well as the surrounding clubs (Waxhaw Woodturners, Charlotte Woodturners to name a few) who joined in as well for 3 days of Jimmy Clewes for a Friday demo during our club meeting. Better yet, we packed up and took our minis/midis for a very nice mix of demos and hands on workshop at our club president's shop on Saturday and Sunday, with about 18 and 10 turners respectively each day...so plenty of individual instruction was there for all.

Jimmy was every bit as congenial and friendly as he comes off on videos, if you've never met him. I don't think he or most of us have ever laughed so hard throughout the entire weekend. Laughing at ourselves of course...never anyone else.

If you ever have the opportunity, do not pass up the chance to meet or learn from Jimmy...he won't disappoint... and no matter what your level, there's never even a touch of arrogance about him, though he could as some do at his level. He always leaves things open for 'personal' approaches to design or use of tools, as I think any good teacher should.

John W Dixon
05-24-2010, 5:30 PM
Sounds like a good time! He is one of the turners that I would love to get a chance to learn from.

John

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2010, 5:53 PM
No photos?

Sounds like everyone enjoyed themselves - what more could you ask for? Thanks for sharing!

Thom Sturgill
05-24-2010, 7:19 PM
I'm jealous. I have several of his videos and saw him at the NC symposium. He's a great talent and seemed a nice guy. I have learned a lot from the videos.

David E Keller
05-24-2010, 8:56 PM
I'll see your gloat and raise you! I'm in Vegas right now, and I just finished my first day with Jimmy. I agree with everything you said... He's a great guy with a very laid-back way of teaching. I'll submit a final report when I get back.

Don Rogers
05-24-2010, 9:25 PM
Tim and David,

Everything you said concerning Jimmy Clewes is correct. I was at the SPW sessions Friday and Saturday and had a ball. As a beginner doing this kind of work for the first time, I learned a lot and got lots of help from other club members. Jimmy also gave me some one on one help several times during the day and even sharpened my bowl gauge. He is a great guy and, if you get the chance, please don’t miss an opportunity to be in one of his classes.

It’s interesting that he left NC Sunday after a full weekend session and then taught a full day in Vegas. He is a remarkable person.

DonR

Jeff Nicol
05-25-2010, 5:06 AM
When I first got started in this swirling storm of the vortex, I had a couple of Richard Raffan videos and then got 2 of Jimmy's for my collection. Like has already been said he has a way about him that just keeps you interested. I would love to meet him some day and see him in action, someday does not come soon enough!

Jeff

Tim Rinehart
05-25-2010, 9:35 AM
No photos?

Steve, I noticed in your pieces you do alot of coloring, and beautiful I must say. I'm glad this is old hat to you. Here's a little more detail and some photos, since you asked...

Well, of the pieces we did, only one of mine survived enough to keep and display. I have it out in my shop getting ready to put a finish on tonight, a small Chinese style box (round) out of walnut, shown in the pic.

Other projects...
A square Chinese box, (in background) but mine had too much moisture and didn't survive the afternoon with differential drying...i.e it cracked. Bottom part was about 1" too heavy in general for proportions to work anyway.

An unsupported long stem goblet...mine was looking quite nice, beautiful goblet end, but I pushed my dull tool a bit too much, got a vibe in the end, and it just snapped the cup end off. No pics.

A multi-axis twist that came out pretty well. Very easy once you do it once. Really would like a steb center next time though. In pic, standing on left.

A figured/curly wood platter with coloring. I had to leave before finishing this piece...but again, will share when complete. This looked alot easier than thought using DNA with powdered dyes (or liquid I guess)but as always, when I go to finish mine...we'll see just how easy it is. Glad our moderator is good at this as well!! I've got some maple burl that I think would do well with this technique also...just need to make sure I start with scrap piece to practice first.

Our club lathe (PM3520) is covered with signatures of every demonstrator who has ever turned at it...so in keeping with that theme, and since Jimmy did demo to me personally on my lathe, he was gracious enough to sign it too, in the pic.

Steve Schlumpf
05-26-2010, 8:05 AM
Great photos Tim - Thanks!

Looking forward to seeing your turnings when finished!

Norm Zax
05-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Nice touch with that signature on the lathe!!

Joshua Dinerstein
05-26-2010, 12:55 PM
I have to agree with you all.

I met Jimmy a few weeks ago at the Utah Woodturning Symposium in Provo. A great event for any of you thinking about joining in in the future. I fully intend to go back next year.

Anyway, I sat thru a number of Jimmy's demonstrations, as many as I could actually. He is extremely talented both as a turner and as a presenter. He keeps you so involved you don't realize how much you are learning. Amazing what he was producing and how.

I also got a chance to talk to him in between sessions and in the evenings for a bit. He was extremely nice and friendly. A truly class act. If you get a chance to see him demonstrate I would heartily recommend you go for it.

On a related note I also got to see so many "greats" at the event. Mike Mahoney is also excellent and a great guy. One of the reasons I went was to see Richard Raffan at that Symposium. I have all of his videos and books and it was his work that got me interested in turning. Wow. What can I say. He is still amazingly fast, and the shapes and textures he produces in his work is amazing. He dealt amazingly well with the creation of a funnel... I mean a small tenon sized bowl and a solid Ash Halo. :) Richard like the others was extremely personable and helpful. I fear I pestered him way to much with questions on the first day. ;)

You know... every time I think I am getting "good" I realize two things, especially at events like these: How far I still have to go and how much I am enjoying the journey. Thanks in large part to the caliber of people that are a part of this fantastic endeavor. From the world-class presenters, like Jimmy Mike and Richard, to the everyday helpfulness of you great people here on the Creek.

So a truly HUGE Thanks to one and all from a turner in Utah who has found that as expensive as it is, wood turning is way way cheaper than therapy and far more effective!

Thanks!
Joshua