PDA

View Full Version : Broken Tip - Tanto Knife

James Mudler
05-24-2010, 1:26 PM
My wife used my loved Beretta Avenger II knife as a screw driver and broke the tip. I do not know how repair nor posses the skills to sharpen a tanto blade. Does anyone have a source or an idea to repair?

Thanks

About the knife:

Developed in collaboration with custom knife maker - Warren Thomas. The Avenger's sleek, black carbon fider handles provide the ultimate in lightweight and strength. Combine the same strong lightweight carbon fiber with VG-10 steel to form the Tanto-style blade and you have a matchless lightweight folding tactical knife. Front liner lock and ambidextrous thumb-stud provide quick one-handed opening and closing. The perfect marriage of high-tech materials and flawless design.

Scott T Smith
05-24-2010, 2:16 PM
James, many knives carry a lifetime warranty. You might be able to have the blade replaced by the manufacturer.

If not, why couldn't you regrind the blade on a belt sander or wet grinder to a new angle?

Scott Shepherd
05-24-2010, 2:25 PM
Maybe email Warren Thomas? His email is listed on his website. If anyone could help, I would guess he could.

David Weaver
05-24-2010, 2:57 PM
And get a fake frost flashy looking knife, tell your wife it's your favorite one, and leave it laying around.

That way, next time, she'll do it to you "favorite knife", which is really just a $3 shill.

Paul Atkins
05-24-2010, 4:19 PM
So much for high tech materials and design. Ask to use her sewing machine to fix you mower bag or torn window screen.

Joe Chritz
05-24-2010, 5:12 PM
I have ground hardened blades several times.

I have a belt grinder (2" sanding belts) that is made for grinding knives that makes it easy but you should be able to do it on any power sander if you are careful. Easy on the speed and make sure it stays cool.

The other option is to check with manufacturer and see about them re-grinding it or replacing the blade.

I used to grind knives from scratch many years ago. There is a learning curve but a tip repair shouldn't be that difficult.

Joe