PDA

View Full Version : Am I Paranoid?

Chris Rosenberger
05-24-2010, 12:56 PM
I use a cabinet design software in my shop. I got an email that the company is going to be offering training clases in my area for the latest release of their software. I have never had formal training on the software & just learn as I go. I called to ask about the classes. I was told in order to take the classes I would have to upgrade to latest version of their software. I was offered a special deal that if I paid for a year of support I would get the current upgrade & 2 future upgrades included. I said I would take that offer & I would like to take 3 days of training.
The salesman emailed me the paper work to fill out. The spec sheet did not have the 2 future upgrades listed. There was also a sheet for my credit card information. That sheet also asked for Social Security number, Federal ID & Bank account information.

I called the salesman to ask why the 2 future upgrades were not listed. He stated that he missed them but I should trust him. I then asked if I only needed to enter my credit card information on the other sheet. He stated that they needed all of the information. I asked why they needed all of this information for a credit card sale. He stated that their accounting department needed this information.

I decided not to go through with the purchase because I could not see any reason why they needed all of this information for a credit card sale.
Was I wrong?

Roger Newby
05-24-2010, 1:11 PM
Place the paperwork on the ground and walk away. Sounds mighty suspicious to me to need all that info for a credit card sale. And when a salesman says "trust me", a flag goes up real quick!

Eric DeSilva
05-24-2010, 1:15 PM
I would look up the company's website, and call them to find out if the offer is legitimate--in other words, independently verify by a contact that is not a link or telephone number in the email. If the offer is legit, I would ask that it be placed in writing. I suspect you won't get that far, but if you do... I'd ask why they have requested certain information that appears to have no relevance and is not requested by other similarly situated companies.

Chances are it was a phishing scam, and if you contact the company through legitimate means, they will tell you there is no offer.

Joe Chritz
05-24-2010, 1:20 PM
You aren't paranoid if people really are out to get you.

Social security numbers are only needed for credit offers. About the only time you are "required" to give a SS # is if you decide you want to apply for credit.

Well, there is the whole jail booking process, but I assume you can avoid that and won't have to supply your SS #. :D

Joe

Horton Brasses
05-24-2010, 1:56 PM
Sounds like a scam to me. You shouldn't need to provide a SS# or a bank account number. Walk away quickly.

I have taken to not putting social security numbers on forms that ask for them. If they ask later I find out why and decide whether to give it or not. I didn't even put them on my sons school enrollment form, they didn't ask after the fact.

-Orion

Rick Prosser
05-24-2010, 2:13 PM
I have taken to not putting social security numbers on forms that ask for them.
-Orion

I agree it sound fishy, and would take the time to confirm.

As far as SS# on applications go - I have sent so many forms, and provided my SS# to so many places, I cannot imagine that it is "secure" anymore.:mad:

Would it make sense to stop providing it now?

Paul Atkins
05-24-2010, 2:47 PM
Call them and tell them you are deceased or get the fraud unit out. ID theft is what it says to me.

glenn bradley
05-24-2010, 4:25 PM
I too would walk away. No one needs that info to sell you a product.

John Schreiber
05-24-2010, 4:58 PM
It could be legit. Accounting people like to have all their ducks in a row, so they tend to ask for all possible needed information. They are inclined to badger sales people in to trying to get it from customers too. A SSN or Federal ID is required for many tax purposes, so they probably ask for it routinely - just in case.

I would make sure that the software upgrades are in writing, but if you want the training, don't reject the whole deal, just leave the form blank where it doesn't make sense to you.

glenn bradley
05-24-2010, 6:55 PM
I take it back. John's recommendation makes good sense.

Phil Thien
05-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Sounds like the paperwork doubles as a credit application. Credit applications for a business typically require your federal tax identification #. For small businesses that don't have one, it is pretty standard to use your SSN instead.

If you aren't applying for credit, just leave those areas blank.

Write into the paperwork "TEN FREE UPGRADES TO BE PROVIDED AT NO COST TO CUSTOMER." When the salesman calls back and says the offer was two, tell him that is what you meant, and to "trust me."

John Coloccia
05-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Write into the paperwork "TEN FREE UPGRADES TO BE PROVIDED AT NO COST TO CUSTOMER." When the salesman calls back and says the offer was two, tell him that is what you meant, and to "trust me."

ROFL. Exactly right.

Mitchell Andrus
05-25-2010, 7:01 AM
Many large firms offer training such as this to their employees. The SS# is about the only way for training firms to keep all of the John Smiths straight. This may not matter to you, but to get continuing education credits and college credits students need to have their SS# attached to the paperwork.

Sounds legit. to me if the firm is on the up-and-up.

See if you can pass on this bit of info.

Chris Rosenberger
05-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I passed on the whole deal. There was no choice to take part of it. I had to upgrade the software to take the classes. There was no option of leaving part of the form blank. The salesman had to have a completed form before the sale could be processed. This is a large company, but I am not giving out that much information to buy their products.

I never had a question of it being legit. My concern was all of the private information they required for me to buy there products.
There were no class credits involved. The form was a credit app, but I was not applying for credit, I was paying by credit card.

Phil Thien
05-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I passed on the whole deal.

Salesperson must not work on commission, 'cause a commissioned salesperson would never let you walk away for lack of a SSN.

Michael Trivette
05-26-2010, 4:32 AM
Yea right more like RUN away.

Not only did you do the right thing by walking away you should report this to

police
FBI
Better buissiness Burro (Pun intended)
your local woodworkers guild

and anyone else who will listen

Rich Engelhardt
05-26-2010, 7:35 AM
I had to upgrade the software to take the classes. There was no option of leaving part of the form blank. The salesman had to have a completed form before the sale could be processed. This is a large company, but I am not giving out that much information to buy their products.

Im in IT and have to take quite a few training classes.
Since I'm taking the classes in prep for a certification exam, they always require a lot of info - SS# being one of the things required.

There's also quite a few people in these classes that are there for reasons other than prep for a certification exam.
I never thought about it before, but, I imagine they have to give out the same info since part of our SS# is also our "student ID".

The "certification" craze in the software industry has gotten out of control. There's certifications for everything these days, since that's a huge part of the revenue of the software vendors.
There's certifications for everything these days, from anti virus software, to operating systems, to CAD programs, to you name it.

I think Mitchell is on the right track.