PDA

View Full Version : Is 400 new hermes

Robert Rosensteel
05-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi Every one. I am needing info for diamond engraving with this machine. Just bought the IS400 and the 7200 used. I looked on the internet and found a diamond that screws on the spindle that is spring loaded. And there is the type the screws in from the top like the ones NH sells. Was wondering if there is any advantages to the two type, or if its worth it. And can you burnish with a diamond. I have engrave some plastic but have not started on any metal. Thanks for any help you can give. Robert

Rodne Gold
05-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Bottom loaded bits are always better than top loaded as they are generally stiffer and dont chatter or bend.
You can mark/burnish just about anything with a diamond - including all metals.
We have dumped our diamond bits and use our own home made polished tungsten carbide tips - the secret of the tip shape is to NOT have it sharp but nicely rounded so it glides over the material and doesnt pull or drag the material without causing a burr. You can either use these burnishing type bits with or without the motor for different effects.

Robert Rosensteel
05-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks Rodney for your advise sorry it took so long to get back. Will play around and do some testing.

Ross Moshinsky
05-26-2010, 6:10 PM
There are three main cutters that I know of for metal engraving

-Diamond Drag
-Burnished
-Diamond Rotating

We typically use diamond rotating on a lot of our stuff. We get them from JDS.