PDA

View Full Version : Info on an older Vega lathe (I think)

Rusty Eads
05-24-2010, 10:15 AM
I recently picked up a lathe off of Craigslist and really need some help identifying it. It has been painted silver but it looks like it was originally a dull yellow and it does have the words Vega painted over with a "made in America" plaque on it. It is 36" between centers with a 12" swing. It has a 1/2 hp TEFC motor turning 1720 RPM. It is also a 8 speed variable belt drive, though not sure what the spindle speeds are for each variation. It is solid cast or steel, not sure which. Of course it would help if I could post pics right now but I'm unable. Everything I have found online is of Vega's newer stuff, can someone please help me identify it as this is my first lathe. Appreciate any help given

David Warkentin
05-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Sorry, can't help you on that but welcome here and watch out for the VORTEX! David:D

Richard Coers
05-24-2010, 1:40 PM
I would contact Vega with a picture. They are a great little family owned business. Top notch people.
http://www.vegawoodworking.com/

Rusty Eads
05-24-2010, 2:15 PM
That was going to be my next plan of action, once I can get out of the shop long enough to install my camera software to download a pic :) I paid $90 for the lathe which I thought was a good price since I haven't turned in about 15 years and am just learning and didn't want to pay several hundred for a new one