PDA

View Full Version : Platter Question

Gary Conklin
05-24-2010, 9:43 AM
I picked up a really nice piece of mineral stained Poplar over the weekend to turn a platter with. It is 20.5x20.5x2.5", it is also very wet still. I use the DNA method for drying bowls, but this thing will be larger than my "vat." What is a guy to do? Do I still turn this to 10% then dry and return? Turn and let it move? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-24-2010, 9:51 AM
Some folks use garbage bags and put the wood and DNA in them.

steven carter
05-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Gary,

Get a contractor's type of garbage bag at a big box store, then get a cardboard box and put shaving in it. Put the turning the bag, the bag in the shavings, and then add DNA. You could use a regular bag but the contractor's bags are much thicker.

Steve

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2010, 10:38 AM
What Steve said! Works great and is the only way I DNA anymore.

Mark Burge
05-24-2010, 4:50 PM
I have used those super big ziploc bags. It worked until I punched a hole in it after three uses.

Gary Conklin
05-24-2010, 6:44 PM
So, does the 10% rule apply?

Wally Dickerman
05-24-2010, 7:04 PM
Why not try the conventional way? A platter that large is going to do a lot of moving. IMO there should be no warping in a successful platter. I used to do a lot of platters, some of them quite large. If I started out with wet wood, they were remounted and turned again at least once before the final turning.

After the rough turning, I coat them with either Anchorseal or Johnson's Paste wax, depending on the kind of wood. After the second turning, just the wax. This has always worked for me. Six months drying time, max.

Wally