PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing a glue

Drew Sanderson
05-24-2010, 8:27 AM
Short Version: What glue woud be best to attach the raw red oak to painted pine?

Long Version:
The previous owner of my home left the Andersen windows with the majority of the window having stained pine (Good). They also for some reason thought it would be a good idea to paint the extension jambs white (BAD). I have made up strips of red oak that are 3/16" thick to attach the the jambs. What glue would be best to attach the raw red oak to the painted pine? I plan on using clamps setup to spread to hold them while they cure. I dont know if the paint is oil or latex.

Thanks,
Drew

Lee Schierer
05-24-2010, 8:37 AM
You'll want to sand the painted surface to give the glue some bite, particularly if they used a gloss or semi gloss paint. I would use a contact adhesive and not have to worry about the clamping. Put it on both sides of the joint let it set and stick things in place.

Drew Sanderson
05-24-2010, 8:58 AM
The windows are dated 1985 so I should be safe but perhaps I should do a lead paint test since the house was built in '67.

Joe Chritz
05-24-2010, 9:53 AM
If you will be disturbing any of the original or possibly original paint then you should be careful about lead paint. If you aren't then you are good to go.

This would be another good place for the Hot melt reactive poly glues. Just apply a small bead, hold in place for a few seconds and you are done. The other option is a headless pin nailer. On red oak you won't be able to see the fasteners at all.

Joe

Sam Layton
05-24-2010, 11:22 AM
I was thinking a good sanding of the white paint then PA Construction Adhesive. However, after reading lee's post, I think he hit the nail on the head. I second what Lee said, contact cement...

Sam

Dave Lash
05-24-2010, 11:34 AM
I would use Loctite Power Grab construction adheasive. It has a good amount of tack or grab when attaching trim, usually you do not need to clamp or nail to hold it in place while the adheasive dries.

Neal Clayton
05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
i'm not sure of the design on your windows, and whether they're single/double hungs or casements, but if they are single/double hungs and they slide against those jambs, glue residue squeezing out to the outside of the jamb will rub against your windows, and possibly even glue them shut.

also do not finish the outside edge of the jamb you apply for the same reason. the sun working on the finish can effectively glue the windows shut as well. the outside edge of the jamb should be bare, or just waxed if you want to put 'something' on it.

you might consider just nailing them there without the glue, for these reasons. a traditional double hung has the same issue you have, basically. the frame is primed/painted inside and out to try to keep it stable. the jambs may or may not be, depending on whether they're to be stained or painted. that's why the jambs are typically just nailed without any adhesive.