PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2010, 8:20 AM
24 May 2010

Good Morning Everyone,

Well, it's been a very crazy 2 weeks for me and my family. My daughter's graduation and the various planned surprise parties by family and friends was most excellent and a blessing to our daughter, who has been a blessing to us.

Woodworking wise? I've got a Tiger Wood table to fix (brought to me by my family doctor who would like it fixed) and this will be a good experience for me. The next thing I'm working on is repairing a chair (same one from last week) that had been glued, re-glued, hot glued, and yes, even screwed to fix broken dowels. This one has been a true challenge. But, I am making progress on it.

A good friend of mine, Mark Cothren brought me a load of firewood that hey had been collecting over time for wood turning and such and I will promptly get my boys busy on busting that wood up for firewood for the winter. Thank You Mark.!!!

Well, it's off to the doctor with me in a few minutes for my semi-annual cardio checkup.

So, that's it for me, what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

John Thompson
05-24-2010, 9:05 AM
HS graduation commencement for favorite nephew.. cut grass.. wax and rub-out of Mission Twin Bed with a few meals and naps in between. :)

Matt Meiser
05-24-2010, 9:08 AM
Basically spent the whole weekend doing cyclone stuff--picking up, buying install materials, reading manuals, installing, troubleshooting, etc.

Joe Shinall
05-24-2010, 5:50 PM
HS graduation for my nephew as well. Cleaned up shop a bit and put up a new shelf for scrap junk to keep it off the floor. Baseball Sunday and started taking paw in law's engine apart to fix broken timing belt. Yay!

Dennis McGarry
05-24-2010, 5:56 PM
Well lets see, put my pier in the water finally, clean the beach up and went swimming.

Did a little shopping at WC and picked up PC 18ga Brad nailer for 40 bucks.

Then grabbed a freebie workbench from freecycle, fixed a leg on it, then built a back to it and added a top to half of it and mounted a couple lights.

Installed a 2 foot section of peg board on each side with a 2foot section of solid wood in the middle for hanging paperwork. Using it a work in progress for planning my actual bench build in the fall.

Made a pen in there as well.... :)

Jim Becker
05-24-2010, 9:37 PM
My woodworking for the weekend was tearing out a termite infested 250 year old hand-hewn lintel on a doorway through the 18" thick stone wall of the oldest part of our home and doing the masonry work to be able to slide in a temporary lintel until I can get a new one fabricated and installed. The old one actually wasn't too bad with the bugs, but I want them all gone. (Sadly, they got to the 250 year old wide pumpkin pine flooring inside that area, too...so I have to replace that floor. Grrrr....)

brian c miller
05-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Got started on a stand for the printer.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=140793

Jim O'Dell
05-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Purchased what I needed and did the basic build on the replacement extension table for the new TS. Need to get some fresh Bondo and fill all the brad holes next weekend and sand. It shows to be nice and flat! Maybe the week after that get a sheet of laminate to cover it with.
Spent about an hour or so Sunday mid day blowing all the pecan flower twirlies off the roof. Man that's a pain. But I guess it's the price I pay for having 4 old pecan trees shade the house all summer! Mowed the yard. Oh, went CL shopping with wife for some Pavestone blocks...turned out to be smaller than the lister said in their email. Wasted about 2 1/2 hours driving and and almost a quarter tank of gas...in my 3/4 ton van! Ouch. Jim.

David Helm
05-24-2010, 10:31 PM

Went to Port Townsend and saw this. These two guys were doing a mock battle. Shortly after the picture they were in place to shoot broadsides at each other.

Ray Bell
05-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Very cool David, I worked out of Sequim for a year, and we really enjoyed Pt. Townsand, and the Wooden Boat Festival.

Bruce Elasik
05-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Some years ago i attended a sea kayak symposium there. Nice place. I built a couple of sea kayaks . This weekend i made a trip to the new harbor freight store that just opened up in this area and kept out of the freezing wind and snow and hail.

Rod Sheridan
05-25-2010, 9:13 AM
Well, we had good weather for the long weekend (Victoria Day) so that was really a treat.

I suffered through the worst cold I've had in at least a decade, and did a bit of gardening.

The only wood working item was that a member of the Canadian forum I belong to came over to use my shaper for 2 minutes.

He was making raised panels on his table saw, however these 2 panels were about 36" x 24" and they didn't fit his jig.

So he came over and we used a slotting cutter in the shaper to raise the panels.

It was nice meeting him, and my new shaper had it's first use.

The new machine has a 5" hose connection and it collects all the chips, as opposed to my old machine with the 4" connection.

Regards, Rod.

Shawn Pixley
05-25-2010, 10:37 AM
It has been a stressful couple of weeks here. My grandmother was in and out of the hospital. My dog spent five days at the vet with pending liver failure. I surprised the LOML with a trip to Seattle for her birthday. Dinner with friends at the Dahlia Lounge. Unfortunately. The next morning my son called to tell my that my dog had died in his sleep.

I saw an old band mate in a guitar store and spent a wonderful hour at the NW center of Fine Woodworking. Traveled back on Monday.

Loren McDaniel
05-25-2010, 10:46 AM
After two weeks of a couple hours here and there, I finally got my adirondacks put together. Simple I know, but I love building them for some reason. I love the smell of cypress in the morning, or something to that affect.

Rod Sheridan
05-25-2010, 11:35 AM
It has been a stressful couple of weeks here. My grandmother was in and out of the hospital. My dog spent five days at the vet with pending liver failure. I surprised the LOML with a trip to Seattle for her birthday. Dinner with friends at the Dahlia Lounge. Unfortunately. The next morning my son called to tell my that my dog had died in his sleep.

I saw an old band mate in a guitar store and spent a wonderful hour at the NW center of Fine Woodworking. Traveled back on Monday.

Hi Shawn, I hope your grandmother is doing well now.

Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your dog, they have a way of becoming an extremely important member of the family.

Regards, Rod.

Dan Gill
05-25-2010, 4:13 PM
I actually spent about 3 1/2 hours in the shop Saturday, the first hour cleaning up, and the rest working on my son and daughter-in-law's coffee table. First time I've done much work in about 6 months and it flat wore me out. My knees don't like it. I think they're about 30 years older than I am.

Erik Christensen
05-25-2010, 4:31 PM
I spent about 10-11 hours/day finishing up the base for my new workbench. This coming weekend I get to play with my new paint sprayer & spray the dye and clear coat.

Bob Carreiro
05-25-2010, 4:37 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog, Shawn. I can't imagine loosing mine.
Bob

Kirk Simmons
05-26-2010, 6:22 PM
I built a box. Not a great box, but it's the first small box I've ever built =) It is perfectly sized to hold my digital angle gauge.