PDA

View Full Version : which Veritas spokeshave?

Nate Heffter
11-22-2004, 9:13 PM
Christmas time is here again...

putting the list together and I sense the urge to include a spokeshave. I've never used one, but have been mentally completing several projects in which I reach to the tool chest and pull one out (pics not currently available) I love my LV LA block and medium shoulder plane, so I know I'm going with them. The question is narrowly, which one (yes, there will be a limit) ought I request. The LA with the reversible toe-plate seems most versatile, as well as inexpensive, but their newer traditional options are getting such rave reviews I don't want to jump at the cheapest option.

For those with any experience at all, which would you choose? If it's one of the newer ones, please specify flat-bottom or round. Aiming for most versatility - since eventually some of these projects will come out of the "drawing room"

Thanks.

Mark Singer
11-22-2004, 9:21 PM
I have 3 Veritas Spokeshaves and several others...There is no contest it is the black one...my favorite. Easy to control....fine shavings, great bladehttp://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/sandingshaping/05p3201sb.jpg

Louis Bois
11-23-2004, 7:39 AM
I have to agree with Mark on this one. If you can only get one, the low-angle spokeshave is the one to get. Cost isn't even an issue...it's just a really nice little unit that gives you great control as well as the versatility to reverse the toe piece for both flat and convex work. The others can follow later :D

Tom LaRussa
11-23-2004, 12:53 PM
For those with any experience at all, which would you choose?
Heck, they are such nice stocking-stuffer sized little buggers, why not get one of each?

Matthew Springer
11-23-2004, 1:06 PM
I don't have the LA, but I do have the two new ones (the straight and concave). I got them to touch up some guitar necks. Amazing and beautiful tools.

I don't think you're going to go wrong with either one, but I'd put in my two cents for the standard angle, straight bottom.

Charles McKinley
11-23-2004, 5:27 PM
I was using an instructors homemade shaves with hock blades. I think there is a link from Hock's site to the plans. One was set fine and the other was set coarse and they were soooooo sweeet! I think the blades are $35 each.

Just another option.

Tom Scott
11-24-2004, 10:08 AM
As a first, and possibly only (at least for a little while) spokeshave, definitely the LV LA shave. Very versatile and easy to use. Great first shave.

Tom