PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon wood?

Reed Gray
05-24-2010, 2:54 AM
I got a piece of wood from an arborist friend who got it from some 'old timer' in South Carolina, who said it is Cinnamon wood. Any one ever hear of it? Probably a local name. Don't have pics, almost looks like cherry, and has been dry for years, so almost no distinct smell. Will turn some tomorrow.

robo hippy

Jeff Nicol
05-24-2010, 7:36 AM
Reed, I have heard of it and seen some pictures of it in my cruising on the internet. Have not had the chance to turn any but it sounds like good smells are in your future! My BIL is bringing me something from Louisiana this afternoon, he says it has some wild curly grain but he does not know what it is. It is some stuff left over from Katrina and should be fun!

Let us know what it looks like when you turn it,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2010, 8:31 AM
Never heard of it - but look forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Paul Douglass
05-24-2010, 10:13 AM
If you go to IAP forum and search, there is a guy that just posted a pen made from Cinnamon Wood. It made a beautiful pen. May I can find it and edit it in here. I think I was told we can't link to other forums.

Yep, I just jumped over to IAP. Search Cinnamon and it will be right at the top.

David E Keller
05-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Apparently, it doesn't smell. I've not turned it, but I'm told it doesn't smell like cinnamon.

Nathan Hawkes
05-24-2010, 12:42 PM
I got a piece of wood from an arborist friend who got it from some 'old timer' in South Carolina, who said it is Cinnamon wood. Any one ever hear of it? Probably a local name. Don't have pics, almost looks like cherry, and has been dry for years, so almost no distinct smell. Will turn some tomorrow.

robo hippy

Reed, I think he's talking about Sassafras. I did a search with cinnamon wood and sassafras, and confirmed it. http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/hardwoods/exotic_hardwoods/domestic_wood/sassafras_lumber/sassafras_wood.html

Reed Gray
05-24-2010, 5:34 PM
Now I know why it looked like cherry, because I am 99% sure that is what it is, color, smell, and bark. I have turned some sasafrass, and it was a nice grey/brown color, and the smell is unmistakable.

robo hippy