PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Pen

Paul Ray Moore
05-23-2010, 10:00 PM
I made a pen using a casing from a 30-06 shell. When I first finished it it looked great. The casing was nice and bright but when I looked at it today it had already began to tarnish. For the people who have made a pen using an actual casing of a bullet, what kind of finish do you all put on the casing to keep it bright?
Thanks,
Paul

Tom Wilson66
05-23-2010, 11:00 PM
In the Navy, we used frequent applications of Brasso to keep the shine on the brass.:( Worked real well:D For civilian use a gloss lacquer rattle can spray works real well. Give it a couple of light coats. Might be able to use a CA finish, but have never tried CA on brass.

Harvey M. Taylor
05-24-2010, 8:04 AM
I have made about 60 of them. as suggested, after fine sanding to get the brightness, I put at least 3 coats of rattle-can lacquer.Explain to the user, it will eventually tarnish regardless. Then as suggested, brasso or similar.I find the 7mm. on top works well, and is more accepted than exotic wood, rattlesnake skin or any other top.Gun stores sell them for about $30 for 100.Have fun, Max.

Paul Douglass
05-24-2010, 10:21 AM
The most lasting finish is clear powder coating. Lots of people have had good luck with the Harbor Freight powder coater, but don't recommend their powder. It was just on sale.

John Terefenko
05-24-2010, 5:16 PM
Paul

I am one of those that powdercoat mine with clear. They do hold up well. This process leaves a harder surface than lacquer but there are many that use spray lacquer and some use the dip method. If using a lacquer look for one that is made for brass or other metals. Do not use Deft or lacquers that are made for wood. They won't hold up. Sherwin Williams makes a good one. Good luck.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/cartridgepengoodone-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/pensandkeychains.jpg

Thom Sturgill
05-24-2010, 7:17 PM
Love this forum, learn something new every day! Now I've got to look into DIY powdercoating...
Nice pens by the way..

Paul Ray Moore
05-25-2010, 9:35 AM
Thanks for the tips. My son who is 12 is actually making them. I just get the parts ready for him and I usually do the finishing because I don't like him using the CA.
I started another one last night. I used the Brasso 1st and it looks great, then sprayed it with laquer. I used Deft because that was all I had and didn't know about the metal kind from SW. I can still clean it off and go to SW to get the metal kind today. I went back to the 1st one and used the Brasso to clean it up again. I'll tape off it off and then spray the laquer on it tonight. I'll also start looking at the power coat.
Is it hard to apply?

John Terefenko
05-25-2010, 4:56 PM
Not at all. I use the Harbor freight gun. Use a toaster oven I got on sale at Walmart.