PDA

View Full Version : Paduak/Curly Maple & Ebony Box

Scott Coffelt
11-22-2004, 9:03 PM
I finished up a box this weekend. It is made from Paduak, Curly Maple and Ebony. It is about 10x8x5. The finish is 3 coats of clear lacquer from a spray can. I tried to take a straight on front view, but I could not get a clear enough picture, so I moved on.

Enjoy. :)

Jim Becker
11-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Beautiful, Scott! I always enjoy opening up these threads to see the pictures...very kewel contrasts in this one!

Betsy Yocum
11-22-2004, 11:29 PM
Very pretty Scott. I really like the look of the different woods - they really blend well together.

Betsy

Howard Rosenberg
11-23-2004, 8:44 AM
Thanks for sharing these
Howard

Donnie Raines
11-23-2004, 8:52 AM
I like the box!....but I also like the table top the box is resting on.... :cool: :p

Jason Tuinstra
11-23-2004, 9:47 AM
Scott, great use of wood on this one. I really like the handle you built as well. Looks like it might have taken you some time on this detail. Real nice job.

Chris Padilla
11-23-2004, 9:56 AM
Looks better than the Chiefs! ;) ...excellent job!

Chris DiCiaccio
11-23-2004, 10:07 AM
That is beautiful! You did a great job. Unique design.

Mark J Bachler
11-23-2004, 10:18 AM
I'm going to steal your handle design like everyone else.

at least I'll admit it.

very nice work.

Gene Collison
11-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Scott,

Beautiful box alright! Is that a drawer that opens or?

Gene

Scott Coffelt
11-23-2004, 1:42 PM
Here the answer to some questions:

Time: I originally started with the joint on the bottom a big box joint, but after screwing it up I made it more simple. So I figure I have about 5 hours in the project.

Handle detail: Not too difficult, the legs were more tricky as they are small. Only about 3/4 cubed and then tappered. The disk sander and bandsaw make quick work, but it was tough to get all the same size... that's where the time was. You can not see it real well, but the ebony handle is actually spaced away from the box by about 1/4".

Steal away. I modified a design I saw in a book to my taste.

Drawer opens. The sides.back of the drawer are 1/2 baltic birch. 1/4" Oak ply bottom.

In all it will be more of a decoration piece then any thing. It's currently sitting on the B/E Maple, Purpleheart & ebonized (Black Lacquer) artsy fartsy table I made many months back.