PDA

View Full Version : Log Garden Benches

Rick Rutten
05-23-2010, 6:49 PM
Hello Everyone,

My project list for the summer includes making a couple of garden sitting benches out of logs. I have a good supply of 6" dia. pine along with some 3" Aspens in my back yard that have to come down. I will peel both and use them for frames along with 1x4 for slats and flats as needed. Maybe 4'-5' in length with a back on them for us old folks. I have done some googling for images and ideas. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Rick

Jim Koepke
05-23-2010, 6:59 PM
Did you Google adirondack chairs?

I have made a few of those into benches. Just lengthen the horizontal parts, add a leg in the middle and make a few more back splats.

I have also seen a design where two chairs are side by side facing in opposite directions.

I think FWW recently had plans for 3 different benches. Just make them like that only out of rough stock.

Finally, I think there is an episode of the Woodright's shop where he visits a family shop that makes chairs out of unmilled wood.

After all a bench is just a chair that has been stretched.

jim

Roger Charles
05-25-2010, 9:23 PM
Hello Everyone,

My project list for the summer includes making a couple of garden sitting benches out of logs. I have a good supply of 6" dia. pine along with some 3" Aspens in my back yard that have to come down. I will peel both and use them for frames along with 1x4 for slats and flats as needed. Maybe 4'-5' in length with a back on them for us old folks. I have done some googling for images and ideas. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Rick

This may not be what you have in mind but here is what I made last year. I had to cut down a few earstern white cedars and did not want then to end up as fire wood. Despite its look the bench is quite confortable. The slats:confused: are made of pine.
http://picasaweb.google.fr/lh/photo/eT1Kw_pL1Pad46WpHzIq6_W8iWJpRwJ8dLUEmtF34fk?feat=d irectlink

Roger

Rick Rutten
05-26-2010, 9:12 PM
Thanks Roger. The structure is still there so it is not too far off. I think the logs will be closer to the size of the bird feeder on the left of the picture.

Jim I will look to see if I can find some ideas from the links you mentioned. I am guessing this is an "opportunity" to learn design and building skills.

Rick