PDA

View Full Version : Monster Forstner Bit Extensions

Richard Madison
05-23-2010, 6:37 PM
For those with Monster hollowing rigs, the nominal 3/8" bore in several of the extension bars is a close fit on the shanks of some (many?) forstner bits, and these bars make dandy extensions for drilling. Think pepper mills.

BTW does everyone sand the I.D. of their mills, and if so how you doo dat? No picture yet. Still square. The chief wants it round.

George Guadiane
05-23-2010, 7:29 PM
Brilliant! I used a couple of antique auger bits along with my forstner bits and they all have different shanks, but for many, this is brilliant, especially with the laser aspect.
Thanks for posting the idea.

Greg Just
05-23-2010, 7:38 PM
I do sand the ID of my peppermills while still on the lathe, but not too smooth. I take a dowel, about 1/2 inch, with a slit on the end and wrap some 120 grit sandpaper around it and sand just alittle. I just don't want any loose fibers getting ground up with the pepper.

Richard Madison
05-23-2010, 8:50 PM
Thanks George. Not sure about the laser, but have used these "extensions" in Jacob's chuck in tailstock and in the drill press. Randy, you have a new tool to sell. Just don't mill the flat on the male end. Forgot to mention, put the flat between jaws in the Jacob's chuck.

Thanks Greg. That was the only way I could think of too. Will try the 120 grit.