PDA

View Full Version : Might not have picked the best day.

Steve Mawson
05-23-2010, 1:34 PM
May have not been the best day to do this, about hit 90 for the first time since Aug. 2009-It was HOT and I did get warmed up. Anyway got several piece that might make some nice bowls and HF's.

A land owner pushed out some trees several weeks back. So not wanting them to go to waste I asked permission to see what I could salvage from the pile. Permission was granted and I was told not to make a mess which I did not want to do any way. So I ended up with Cedar, Mulberry, one piece of Ash?? and some Chinese Elm. One question on the Chinese Elm-have never tried to turn and do not like it for anything else, makes a ton of ash for fireplace wood and drops twigs everywhere in a yard, had them were I grew up. So has anyone ever turned this wood-more to get if I want it. All pieces were sealed as I put them in the truck. Lots more wood here but some is pretty well buried so will have to see what I can do. The brush pile is probably 50 ft long and 30 ft wide.

Mike Minto
05-23-2010, 1:42 PM
Great color in that wood! Excellent haul.

Allen Neighbors
05-23-2010, 1:42 PM
Looks like you have a heck of a haul, there, Steve. Good show!
Chinese Elm makes beautiful wood turnings! It's hard as nails when dry, and a little bit brittle. I dropped a bowl with 1/8" sides, and it broke in half... so I suggest turning to about 1/4" or greater thickness. I've made (and sold) bowls, Vases, Coffee Scoops, and Biscuit Cutters from it. My suggestion is to get more, seal it, and rough turn it when you can...

John Keeton
05-23-2010, 3:06 PM
Some of that cedar is pretty good size!! Steve, you ended up with some nice wood, and a good steamy workout, to boot!

Tony De Masi
05-23-2010, 3:34 PM
Nice haul there Steve.

Tony

Harvey Ghesser
05-23-2010, 5:30 PM
congrats on the wood, Steve! I see lots of nice bowls!:D

George Guadiane
05-23-2010, 6:26 PM
NICE!
It's funny how easy it can be to get premium wood by just asking (as you show in your painfully full truck).

Donny Lawson
05-23-2010, 6:58 PM
Looks like some nice size Cedar bowls in your future.
Donny

Roland Martin
05-23-2010, 7:32 PM
Great looking wood you got there, that'll keep you busy for a while.

neil mackay
05-24-2010, 8:21 AM
[

Chinese Elm makes beautiful wood turnings! It's hard as nails when dry, and a little bit brittle. I dropped a bowl with 1/8" sides, and it broke in half... so I suggest turning to about 1/4" or greater thickness. I've made (and sold) bowls, Vases, Coffee Scoops, and Biscuit Cutters from it. My suggestion is to get more, seal it, and rough turn it when you can...

Yep Chinese Elm is a great wood to turn. But rough it out wet as Allen mentioned tough as old boots when dry.But it takes a good polish and is stable when dry.
Will split badly if you don't remove the pith and move allot, dry it out in the coolest place you've got in the shop out of sunlight and any air movement.

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2010, 8:29 AM
Congrats on your haul! Beautiful wood! Must have been a real chore to cut, seal and stack during those temps!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Rob Cunningham
05-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Nice load of wood Steve. Looks like there's quite a few bowls and HF's waiting to be turned.

Edward Bartimmo
05-24-2010, 6:18 PM
Chinese Elm is extremely dense and I have found it to be very stable. When it dries it is extremely hard. It has tight dense grain that takes any shape. It polishes nicely. It makes a great tool handle as well.

Additionally, you'll probably notice a mild hint of cinamon while turning.

Steve Mawson
05-24-2010, 9:22 PM
Thanks for the comments on the Chinese Elm, I plan to go back and get more. So far, 2 days, no splits are showing up in the logs. Saw is leaking oil so it is in the shop but what is there should wait till I get back to it.