PDA

View Full Version : Best book(s) on finishing kitchen cabinets

scott vroom
05-23-2010, 12:48 PM
I tried the search function but came up empty. I'm looking for a couple of top notch books showing up-to-date techniques/products for hardwood finishing. My immediate project is kitchen cabinets, but will be building a number of furniture pieces over the next few years. Amazon has a number of books by Jeff Jewitt and Bob Flexner, but I can't tell which are most applicable to my area of interest.

I don't currently own a spray system and am hoping to put a nice looking and DURABLE finish on my kitchen cabinets without having to purchase one. I have limited space so if I go the sprayer route I guess it would have to be HVLP.

I've been told that General Finish Arm-R-Seal applied with a foam applicator is great for cabinets (2 coats gloss followed by 2 coats satin work well according to one poster).

Thanks

Joe Chritz
05-23-2010, 1:07 PM
Wipe on finishes are usually a little more forgiving, especially for the nooks and like on 5 piece doors. Several of the wiping varnishes will give great results on cabs. I am partial to Behlen's rockhard and waterlox.

You will have many hours in finishing a full kitchen full of doors and boxes if doing it by hand but it is fully doable.

Check out Bob Flexner's books or Jeff Jewitt's they both have great information. Essentially you need the basics, the rest is practice.

Joe

Al Wasser
05-23-2010, 2:47 PM
Those are both good books. One of the problems with the books that I have looked at/studied is that they do not recommend a particular finish for a particular job. The books go over how to apply and the pluses and minuses of the finish but it is up to you to decide what you want to use for your application.

Steve Schoene
05-23-2010, 9:16 PM
There is no one finish that is "best" for any particular application. There are many factors to consider, and trade-offs to decide about. A book that just gave a single receipe for any project would be pretty much worthless.

Joe Chritz
05-24-2010, 4:44 AM
My advice on what finish is to get a couple that cover 95% of all you do and learn to use them good.

I use pre-mixed shellac (occasionally flakes), Behlen's rockhard or waterlox (essentially identical in application) and Target EmTech6000. Sherwin Williams fast drying oil stains or transtint dye in alcohol or water. BLO or stain base to pop grain on un-colored wood.

That keeps me pretty well busy in learning the ins and out of each of those.

Joe