PDA

View Full Version : Wooden spoons

Fred Perreault
05-23-2010, 11:26 AM
I am interested in adding some wooden spoons to go with my bowls. I have turned a few basic ones, with a slightly offset bowl/handle. What I have seen is some spoons where the handle is crooked, or curved near the end of the handle opposite end of the bowl. Is this done on the lathe or is it all carving? I have also seen the bowl end at a slight angle to the handle, as opposed to just turned off center between centers. Any help out there?
Thanks,

Mike Minto
05-23-2010, 1:16 PM
Fred, I can only get ya part ways there. I make some spoons, and have done a couple iwth slightly angled handles. After rough shaping on the bandaw, I mount m spoon-to-be on the lathe, centered. After shaping the bowl of the spoon, I then move the center that is at the handle end nearer to the edge, on the side of the spoon where the bowl is open. That does provide some offset; maybe someone else here will chime in. I'm sure an adjustable/offset chuck would be helpful.

Allen Neighbors
05-23-2010, 2:02 PM
If your lathe swing is big enough, you can turn a ball on the end of a handle. Then mount the ball end into a jam chuck that's made just for that size spoon, and turn the spoon portion. It's how I make coffee scoops. You can shape the spoon at different angles, also.
Watch out for the handle... if it hits you, it hurts you. :D