PDA

View Full Version : High Temperature paint fill

Steve Kelsey
05-23-2010, 11:10 AM
I have a job to engrave and paint fill a plastic that will be exposed to temperatures in the 200 degree range for extended periods of time. The plastic engraves beautifully but is a solid color so does not have any definition. I was thinking of painting it before hand and then engraving to get some more definition. Does anyone have any experience with a high temperature paint that might work? I was thinking of some engine block paint.

Jim Coffee
05-24-2010, 12:23 AM
Some of us use powder coat powders to color engraved wood. And some of us, after applying the powder, run a second pass with the laser to bake the powder. Powder coat powder might work very well for you...with the pass to bake it in. I've never tried it...I work primarily with wood.

Joe Pelonio
05-24-2010, 8:07 AM
The automotive engine paint is formulated for metal, and may not stick well to plastic. Your 200 degree environment may be OK for One-Shot paint, I know it's been used for pinstriping on engines and will stick to most plastics.

Rodne Gold
05-24-2010, 9:29 AM
You will have a lot more success if you rather paint fill the plastic after engraving rather than painting and then engraving , the laser creates a rough surface for the paint to stick to whereas the plastic is a very smooth surface and some plastics can outgas solvents or other additives when heated which might cause even more problems.

I would suggest using normal automotive body paint , we use it for metal tags that undergo higher temps than 200F and it survives well.

Steve Kelsey
05-26-2010, 8:51 AM
Thanks for all the input. Sorry for the delay in responding. I was off getting married :-)

Dan Hintz
05-26-2010, 8:56 AM
Thanks for all the input. Sorry for the delay in responding. I was off getting married :-)
Congrats! Mine is in a month :)