PDA

View Full Version : Lapel pins

Mike Christen
05-23-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm looking for a source for lapel pin or similar blanks in different shapes, round, square, rectangular etc. I'm planing on painting or using other process and then laser them depending on need, most will be for poker runs. After engraving I plan on epoxy doming them. A blank with a outside lip would be ideal. Has anyone ever seen a supplier for these? I have searched the net and can't find anything I'm looking for yet.

Thanks

Martin Boekers
05-23-2010, 3:18 PM
I tried buy "blank Coins" awhile back, ones that too, had an edge but were blank. I planned to do a similar thing as you.

I was told from the coin companies that they would make them but it would be the same cost as if I had a die made and had them cast or "struck" and colored. I passed!

You may have better luck with pins, ask them if they have standard shapes and sizes and if they are available as blanks.

Most coin companies do pins also, as do ASI Distributors.

Marty

Mike Christen
05-26-2010, 6:09 PM
Well this is what I came up with. Its black brass with epoxy dome. Looks better than pic

Thanks Martin for the blank coin idea, I may try that in the future.

Dee Gallo
05-26-2010, 6:12 PM
Mike, that's a nice job - where did you end up getting the blanks? I like the shape and wide border very much. Thanks for posting!

:) dee

Mike Christen
05-26-2010, 6:20 PM
Hi Dee, Thanks for the compliment.

It's gloss black coated laser brass I buy in 12x24 sheets from Johnson Plastics, same as used for plaques, I just cut to size and rounded corners. Clutch pin epoxied onto back.

Dee Gallo
05-26-2010, 8:21 PM
Aha - so for those of us who have no metal cutting facility, we're back to searching. Love them, though, and the doming is a perfect finishing touch.

Thanks, dee